lucylu

Which suburb? Driving license transfer :)

Hello all.

I (21) live in South East UK currently with my boyfriend (24) who has been offered a fantastic job in Melbourne, VIC.

I have alot of doubts and worries so have a few questions! If anyone could help with these, I will be very grateful. Thank-you.

1. Where is a good area to be looking for a house (renting to start).. He will be working in Rowville but is willing to travel roughly 30 minutes or so for commuting.. I would like to live somewhere that is potential walking distance to afew shops/town/pub etc but still be able to drive into the city in under half hour. I'm thinking somewhere in between rowville and melbourne city..?

2. I passed my UK Full driving license this month (October 2016). Over here that means I have no restrictions on driving, no P plates, no restrictions on vehicles other than trucks/lorrys etc. ofcourse... My worry is that I will have to re-test when I move to Aus? I dont understand the information online when it says that I may have some probationary restrictions.. I dont understand what the difference in my license will be! Cars are also 10x more expensive! :'(

Hi Lucy

Where to live largely depends on what sort of property you want and your budget. Rowville itself and the surrounding areas are all OK. With regards to the driving licence, you won't have to take another test but you may be on P-plates for a year or more. These are not very restrictive, you have an alchohol limit of 0 and cannot drive a V8, thats about all. Cars are not 10x as expensive, not sure what gave you that impression, new cars are often cheaper here than the UK. Unfortunately though with the exchange rate you will find a lot of things seem more expensive at the moment.

Hi Lucy,

1. If you draw a line from Rowville to Melbourne City somewhere from the mid-point, from Chadstone to CBD is mostly built up with more options for shops, pubs, etc. Between Rowville and Chadstone, there are still some but sparse.

2. Re taking the exam, you won't need to sit through the written exam. You can convert your full drivers licence to a Victorian one if you are 21 years old and over.

Is this the same link you looked at? Last paragraph of step 1 and first paragraph of step 2 under Getting your Victorian Drivers Licence

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/licences/renew-replace-or-update/new-to-victoria/overseas-drivers

Hope the info helps somehow and ease the doubts and worries.

Cheers, Winneth

Hello all.

I (21) live in South East UK currently with my boyfriend (24) who has been offered a fantastic job in Melbourne, VIC.

I have alot of doubts and worries so have a few questions! If anyone could help with these, I will be very grateful. Thank-you.

1. Where is a good area to be looking for a house (renting to start).. He will be working in Rowville but is willing to travel roughly 30 minutes or so for commuting.. I would like to live somewhere that is potential walking distance to afew shops/town/pub etc but still be able to drive into the city in under half hour. I'm thinking somewhere in between rowville and melbourne city..?

2. I passed my UK Full driving license this month (October 2016). Over here that means I have no restrictions on driving, no P plates, no restrictions on vehicles other than trucks/lorrys etc. ofcourse... My worry is that I will have to re-test when I move to Aus? I dont understand the information online when it says that I may have some probationary restrictions.. I dont understand what the difference in my license will be! Cars are also 10x more expensive! :'(