Stefan

Living in Melbourne - The good and the bad

Hi Everyone

My partner and I are starting to make serious plans to move from Durban in South Africa, to Melbourne in Victoria, Australia.

We would please like to have some objective views, from people who are currently, or have lived in the city within the last 5 years.

Melbourne looks like the best city so far, and I think (from what we have found out about it) that we would fit in there quite nicely, but I would like to see comments from actual people, and not sites selling the city to you.

I am very excited to receive your responses herein.

Stefan

Hi Stefan - we have been here 9 years now. We chose between Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne, and found Melbourne to have the goldilocks situation of good career opportunities, nice beaches and countryside within easy access and affordability. Bit less affordable now, but still an excellent place to live and we love it!

I live in Melbourne and have also lived in South Africa (KZN).

We love it here, it is very hard to advise as there it depends upon what you are interested in. The city and surrounding suburbs are cosmopolitan and I think that most people could find a niche somewhere here, be it the coffee culture, arts, museums, clubs or the family environments.

Weather wise it is closer to Cape Town than Durbs (although colder in winter). We have several seasons including cold wet winters and hot dry summers. Melbourne is known for its often unpredictable weather and having 4+ seasons in one day.

I have lived in Melbourne for over thirty years and like it. I too lived in Rhodesia and my brother was born there, although I am English. A lot of South Africans around.

I have always found Melbourne not quite as aussiefied as Sydney, Brisbane etc. Just a different feel altogether. Not that they are not nice cities and I have lived in Sydney as well.

Thanks for your answer, both our careers are very important to us, but we want to also live in a vibrant and exciting city.

Melbourne is an excellent city to live in. However, the complaints I've heard about this city are mainly these: 1. Weather because it is very unpredictable and cold winters, 2. the lack of an airport train/public transport option and 3. a proper real and warm beach. Aside from these three "issues", the city offers proper and solid cultural, fashion, food, lifestyle, housing, transportation, education options. I find the people in Melbourne, in general, friendlier and more genuine than the other cities in Aus I've lived in.

Is it a good city for IT people as well? How are the residential costs?

Sent from my Infinix-X600-LTE using Tapatalk

I guess a persons views on living in Melbourne would depend on which part of Melbourne you lived in.

Melbourne is a sprawling city containing many suburbs reaching into rural, seaside and mountain areas.

Is it a good city for IT people as well? How are the residential costs?

Sent from my Infinix-X600-LTE using Tapatalk

Melbourne has a good IT market, second only to Sydney. If you are in software development, .Net related technologies are in good demand and you will find quite a lot of jobs in this domain.

Regarding residential costs, Melbourne is quickly getting expensive, especially if you go to the south-eastern areas with good schools and better public safety. Average housing cost in these suburbs is 700K+

However, you can still find some cheaper properties towards the west and northern areas but have issues like high crime rate, traffic congestion, less public transport etc.

Depends on your priorities and preferences, but here's what I think about Melbourne:

Good: A well-planned city, plenty of opportunities for business and professional development

Bad: Weather quite unpredictable - Winter in particular, expensive - inflated real estate