ribbox

CBD Travel Times

HI, I have had a search for travel times from the suburbs to the World Trade Center area. I would be looking at either car or public transport about 30mins out.

At the moment I am in the UK and looking to move in August. We had been looking at Brisbane, but I now have interview for a job in Melbourne, so all the research I have done in the past could be for nothing.

Thanks for any help

Mark

Hi Mark, Melbourne's a great place to live, nice beaches, great big city vibe, stunning countryside.

30 mins out of the city gives you loads of options, depends really on what your budget is and what kind of property you are looking for, and whether you want beach or city or what.

BB

I live in north ringwood/donvale. The area always surprises people because its quite a bushy area but still close to the city. Lots of parrots, possums, blue tongued skanks, even the odd kangaroo and koala. And scorpions, redbacks and huntsman if you care to look. The train line has a train every 4~5 mins at rush hour and its 4 miles to the station. 25 mins express train and i'm sitting at my desk in Lonsdale st, 5 mins later. Plots round us are 1~3 acres. I can't think of anywhere else in the world i could have afforded a place with such a country feel so close to a cbd. Having said that, prices have risen a lot since we got here so I'm not sure I could afford it now! Downside is that its a long way to beaches if that's your thing. Everyone complains about the trains but they are a lot more reliable than I remember in UK. Just a suggestion though, as BB says, first thing you need to decide is what you are after.

Hi Mark,

There are some great options in Melbourne if you are needing to access the CBD. And the Melbourne public transport system is also very handy. Some things to consider when sourcing a suburb to live are:

- Do you have family also relocating? If so, you will need to consider education facilities also.

- Do you have any friends already here in Melbourne? If so, its great to live close to them.

- Whats your budget and what sort of accommodation are you looking for? Apartment, townhouse, house?

Regards, Expat Assist :)

It's always a compromise of distance to travel versus the available accommodation, it's cost, local amenities etc.

I'd advise that you don't limit yourself to "30 mins" out from the CBD otherwise you could potentially miss the ideal location which is a compromise if all of your requirements.

And what's another 10 mins on the train anyway? More reading time, game time, Facebook time etc etc.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the comments. On Friday I was offered the job :smile: so now the fun begins

We are a family of 4, (5 year old and 3 year old) my wife has had some interest in the Royal Melbourne Hospital. So lets assume the start time for jobs is 8am and children can be dropped off at 7am, from the comments this would open all of Melbourne up. looking on the net, we like the idea of Point Cook, but I have heard some bad things about the crowding on the trains, does anyone have any experience?

Is there any other area that have similar properties, i.e. outside space for the kids.

We have no friends or family in Melbourne, so would need to sort out child care to cover working. We are looking to rent, and then buy. so don't really want to move the kids in and out of schools.

Mark

To only allow an hour to get to work as well as dropping children off you would have to live very close to your employment. My daughter lives in the city in Brunswick and it takes her an hour to get to work on the tram etc, sometimes a bit more as they are full and sail past. So you are looking at inner Melbourne if the Royal Melbourne is one of the places. I would look at Ascotvale, Preston, Brunswick, East Melbourne etc they are all very pricey suburbs though looking at over $500 for a small tiny house.

I would say if you wanted to live in Point Cook, Cranbourne, Berwick, Frankston which are cheaper then you need to allow an hour and half to two hours including dropping off children and getting off public transport for work.