MrsMc

Rent - what's included?

Hi,

The big plan is to move from the UK to Mordi/Parkdale area next year (2 adults and 2 young children). I am trying to forecast our expenses but I am a bit stuck with renting.

I know Australia charge rates (Council Tax charged monthly in the UK) is that inclusive of the rent when advertised? or is it addition to the rent?

Also, I saw on a post that you may be asked for a deposit for gas and elec but the real estate agent - but am I right in assuming your gas and elec are something you arrange and pay for separately to your rent?

And finally, I am expecting to pay a fee to the estate agent as well as a bond and rent in advance - any other charges I need to be aware of?

Thank you in advance

Alex

Hi Alex - good choice of area - we have lived on the boundary of Mordialloc and Parkdale for several years and its a great place to live.

As far as charges go -

Landlord pays council tax

Landlord pays water rates

You pay gas, electric, phone, internet.

You do not pay any fee to the agent.

You pay 4 weeks rent in advance

You pay equivalent of 4 weeks rent as a bond which is held independently until you vacate.

Hope that helps

BB

Hi Alex - good choice of area - we have lived on the boundary of Mordialloc and Parkdale for several years and its a great place to live.

As far as charges go -

Landlord pays council tax

Landlord pays water rates

You pay gas, electric, phone, internet.

You do not pay any fee to the agent.

You pay 4 weeks rent in advance

You pay equivalent of 4 weeks rent as a bond which is held independently until you vacate.

Hope that helps

BB

That is more than helpful! thank you for taking the time to reply. I had forecast for rates so that's a nice little bonus :)

Water consumption and drainage are paid by the tenant if there is a separate water meter for the property. The landlord just pays the rate and planning component.

Water consumption and drainage are paid by the tenant if there is a separate water meter for the property. The landlord just pays the rate and planning component.

Thank you for specifying - I had got carried away thinking we wouldn't have to cover the water bill! I didn't realise rates were separate.

Thanks again!