Libby

Dog carriers in cars. Help please!

We got a puppy. He's getting big now and will soon need a large dog carrier but it no longer fits buckled onto the seats so will only fit in the boot without parcel shelf. Are you allowed to do this? I can't find anything that doesn't talk about small dog carriers that fit in the car with seatbelt around it. The only other guidance is about utes. I need the carrier cos the dog's getting an operation as I usually use a harness n seatbelt attachment.

Thanks for any help

Well I have two large dogs way to large for any sort of carrier and they sit in the car. However this is not legal and I do have harnesses to put on them that for the seat belts and if I was not such a slack dog mum I would put them on. So maybe your post has done some good I will look them out today. Yes go to the pet shop and get a harness for the dog in the car. No cage required. I do have a large dog crate but as I said they are too large for it now.

Thanks for replying and sorry for not being on here for a while. I lost my password and didn't get round to resetting it quickly :)

Our puppy has already outgrown the carrier so I've ended up just using the harness and dog seatbelt that just clicks into the normal seatbelt holder. It's not ideal as he still gets car sick so have had to put towels everywhere when he's in the car! It is awful. At least when he fit in a dog carrier, we could contain it a bit. Sorry for TMI there! No solution to this one. Just trying to avoid car travel with him as much as poss!

Had a friend in UK whose daughter was always sick in the car. They tried everything without a result. One day, unbeknown to the rest of the family he fitted one of those old-fashioned earthing straps - the kind that touch the ground when the car is stationary. He never said a word to anyone, but she was never sick in the car again..........

well my dog is little much evil and he always try to jump in car.For this i used a safety belt and I think that these dog safety belts will save my dog's life someday.

Bad experience with dog carriers, got my puppy locked up and it won't open. We had to get it cut. Plus my dog didn't like the carrier. He always wanted a free space in car, so I dropped the idea of a carrier.

We have three Golden Retrievers who compete throughout the country in Obedience, Retrieving and Tracking and there is no way they would be given 'free space' in our vehicle and so the following is the only way they travel,

https://puppybars.com/catalogue/barriers/

That surely makes your car look ugly! Haha, Jk. No I am totally against carriers after my pathetic experience.

Mate, we have a 2013 Nissan X-Trail, looks good on the outside but boy it's hard to control the dog hair on the inside, here is one of our dogs doing an Ad under the control of my wife who on set is a Dog Wrangler,

https://www.youtube.com/user/BendigoBankCommunity

Cheers.

Bad experience with dog carriers, got my puppy locked up and it won't open. We had to get it cut. Plus my dog didn't like the carrier. He always wanted a free space in car, so I dropped the idea of a carrier.

Sorry, you need to train your puppy. It is trying to have its own way and and train you and that is not acceptable in a vehicle (or anywhere else). One day it will distract you while driving and if you are lucky, you might survive the crash. The puppy may not be so lucky, or the people in the car you hit. Time for you to be a responsible adult.

Our dogs were trained to travel in the luggage space of our Range Rover.  When they were young, we had a mesh barrier to prevent them climbing over the rear seats.  After about six or eight months we were able to do away with the barrier and they never tried to climb over.  They had learned which was 'their' space and which was 'ours'.  If you have small dogs, then there are plenty of options available.