Hayley

Bundoora - What's it like to live there?

Hi all,

looks like our move is on for January 2017 - all very excited! We're looking for a family-friendly suburb (kids aged 12 and 16) with good high schools and a community-feel. Husband will need to get into CBD but also will have some work based in Bundoora. Can anyone tell me what it's like to live there? It looks great on all the searches I've done and appears to be a fairly easy commute to the CBD by train/tram? Hoping to come for a visit in July with a view to having a good look at Bundoora and surrounding areas.

Thanks.

I think that Bundoora is ok, I am not familiar with that part of Melbourne. If you look up the council sites,Darebin, Banyule and Whittlesea it will give you an idea of the area. Also look up the Leader Newspaper for that area, the Leader is the local newspaper that comes out every week and is free and you can sign up for it to be sent to your email address. This will give you an idea of local issues in the area.

Must say have not seen a question about Bundoora most seem to gravitate to the west east and south of Melbourne rather than the north.

I think that Bundoora is ok, I am not familiar with that part of Melbourne. If you look up the council sites,Darebin, Banyule and Whittlesea it will give you an idea of the area. Also look up the Leader Newspaper for that area, the Leader is the local newspaper that comes out every week and is free and you can sign up for it to be sent to your email address. This will give you an idea of local issues in the area.

Must say have not seen a question about Bundoora most seem to gravitate to the west east and south of Melbourne rather than the north.

Thank you Petals, that's really helpful.

Bundoora is fine. We're in Watsonia and we know the area well.

It's got good schools, it's on a tram line (but not train), close to the ring road, shopping, parks etc.

Nearest trains would be Watsonia or Reservoir. Plenty Road is a very busy road, especially at peak times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Hayley,

Bundoora is a family friendly suburb and have some good schools in the area. Houses tend to be larger and there are large estates. A couple of new shopping malls have been built and it isn't as desolate as it was a few years back. There is also a university campus in the area. But because the area is a bit sprawled out, it's one of those places that some form of transport is required to go to the shops. Takes about an hour to get to the city using the tram line no. 86. There's website that ranks schools in terms of their students' average math and English scores and that might help find getting information about how good schools are.

Cheers, Winneth

Hi all,

looks like our move is on for January 2017 - all very excited! We're looking for a family-friendly suburb (kids aged 12 and 16) with good high schools and a community-feel. Husband will need to get into CBD but also will have some work based in Bundoora. Can anyone tell me what it's like to live there? It looks great on all the searches I've done and appears to be a fairly easy commute to the CBD by train/tram? Hoping to come for a visit in July with a view to having a good look at Bundoora and surrounding areas.

Thanks.

Hi Hayle, Bundoora is relatively bigger suburb. I live just on the edge of Bundoora. Although there is NO Train station within bundoora, Commuting to CBD is basically very easy! Its about 20mins drive to CBD (normal traffic)

Option 1: Tram 86 (goes all the way up until RMIT bundoora) 45- 55mins to CBD (least preferred)

Option 2: Taking Bus 250, 350 from La Trobe University, 30-40 mins to CBD (Not good at PEAK traffic hours)

Option 3: Taking Train from Macleod Station (Hurtsbridge Line) OR Reservoir Station (South Morang Line), 30-35 mins train (stopping all stations), the express train takes about 20 mins to commute to CBD during peak hours.

You can reach Macleod station by taking bus route 561, however majority of commuters prefer Reservoir station due to various bus routes. (561 bus goes through reservoir station as well)

Like I said, its relatively bigger suburb. If you live up north which mean close to RMIT bundoora campus (thats the newly developed bundoora). Taking bus to Epping Station or Watsonia Station would be ideal in this case. Furthermore, Area around Bundoora Square shopping centre is quite populated. So basically thats one stop shop for everything. (Woolworth, Coles, Pizza's, Banks, KFC)

Hi Hayley!

We also recommend checking out Ivanhoe and Heidelberg. These are both really family friendly suburbs on the train line so getting to the CBD is easy and Bundoora is a short drive away going against peak hour traffic. If your husband wants there's also some of the best bike paths that you can use to ride to the city. Lots of options! There's also lots of parkland around these areas and plenty of shops/cafes etc so you'd have a great lifestyle. Happy to answer any other questions you have.

Cheers!

Hi everyone,

thanks for all your really useful comments. The excitement is building in our house ...!

Hayley

Hi Hayley,

Just checking if you decided to live in Bundoora after all. We are moving from Malaysia and quite keen to move to Bundoora too. Please share your experience with me.