MrsMc

Family friendly suburb near Chadstone/Holmesglen?

Hello

My husband is hoping to study a trade at Holmesglen next year which I believe is in the Chadstone area? We will be moving from the UK with our 2 children who will be 3 & 1. I don't think being near the CBD is necessary but somewhere that is family friendly and outdoorsy would be great. I took a shining to Mordilliac from reviews but its too difficult a commute on public transport.

Hopefully you have somewhere to recommend?

Thanks in advance!

If you are going to rely on public transport then you need to look up the public transport site and see what transport you will be able to use from the suburbs. Its on the Glen Waverley line so if you were not living on that line you would need buses and they are much slower and go around the world. Glen Waverley is a very expensive area and the suburbs around it are also. Have a look on realestate.com.au and in conjunction with the transport site find which suburbs will suit you. Most Aussies in the suburbs drive to work or TAFE or Uni. Having two cars is a norm here. Problem is our transport does not link up and that makes the commutes longer on public transport.

If you are going to rely on public transport then you need to look up the public transport site and see what transport you will be able to use from the suburbs. Its on the Glen Waverley line so if you were not living on that line you would need buses and they are much slower and go around the world. Glen Waverley is a very expensive area and the suburbs around it are also. Have a look on realestate.com.au and in conjunction with the transport site find which suburbs will suit you. Most Aussies in the suburbs drive to work or TAFE or Uni. Having two cars is a norm here. Problem is our transport does not link up and that makes the commutes longer on public transport.

This is is great advice thank you. We could get a car I just didn't know how soon in to arriving we wanted to commit to buying a car so thought getting local transport would make sense. From my research it does seem crazy how a 20 min car journey can be over 1 hour on public transport or a 40min drive can be 2hrs on PT!

Thanks again

Mentone is pretty similar to Mordialloc. On the beach, plenty of shops, good schools etc however it also doesn't have a direct train route to Holmesglen so your husband would need to take the same bus (he'd just hop on a later stop). Here's a map of the route: https://ptv.vic.gov.au/assets/Maps/Routes/PDFs/8925_Bus903.pdf

The bus would take around 40 min and comes about every 20 minutes so it's pretty convenient and I wouldn't let the commute put you off living in Mentone/Mordialloc because they are great suburbs!

If you did want to consider somewhere on the same train line as Holmesglen it really depends on your budget. Glen Waverley, Mount Waverley, Glen Iris etc are all beautiful suburbs that would be great for a young family but can be more expensive depending on what size home you require.