Gr8leo87

Transferring money question.

Hi

I'm moving to Melbourne next month and would be starting a business. On my way to Mel I would be staying in Hong Kong for a couple of days and discuss business with vendors there.

There's some advance payment with one of my vendors. My question is that can I take amount from my vendor in cash to Oz and declare it while entering. The amount would be around 30k AUD. I know we have to declare any sum that is brought in but does it matter where it comes from and who sends it or gives it?

Thanks

Cheers

Seriously? Why would you want to carry $30,000 in cash .... set up an Australian bank account before you arrive (very easy), then get your HK vendors to transfer funds electronically. You will have to declare cash amounts over $10,000 if you choose to carry cash. If your 'story' of how you got the cash isn't absolutely water-tight and traceable, then you run the risk of having it confiscated and/or it raising suspicions about your reasons for travel. Wouldn't run the risk personally.

totally agree with Blade17...i wouldn't be carrying that amount of cash on me..bank transfer the funds, easy and in your account within 24-48 hours and it's all traceable..You will have to declare that amount anyway, in fact over 10K you do, and you will be questioned???