MajorTom

Berwick.............tell me about it?

Hi all,

We are a family of 6, myself I'm a POM, my other half is a returning Aussie, and we have a 14yr old, 4.5yr old, 2.5yr old and a 1.5yr old..............yes we've been busy, the TV stopped working for a while! ;-)

We are thinking of Berwick area, what's your thoughts on it good and bad, what's the schools and colleges like also, spare me no information, good or bad.

Thanks for your help, we hopefully will be arriving early 2016.

Cheers MT

Berwick is very popular with Brits and its a nice area. I do not like the traffic over there as I find it frustrating as our traffic where I live is not as bad. As has been said by me and many depends where you are going to be working. Also wherever you look at living check out the Whirlpool forum for internet cover. Its hit and missy, not all broadband lot of wireless around which can be quite frustrating at peak times.

Also look to be near stations, schools etc. The areas of Berwick is huge and runs into Narre Warren and Cranbourne, so you can be a long way from a train station and the shops. Most people have two cars as public transport is not the best in the suburbs unless using the train.

Im looking at Berwick too, me and hubby from Yorkshire and we are living in Sydney at the moment (totally not affordable to stay here in Sydney, beautiful place mind). Our son lives in Berwick and he loves it, ( and he's a young 26 year old living there), so we are looking to be closer to family too.

We live 25 mins up the road in Cockatoo.

Petals is correct the traffic is always busy around the area and Berwick now spreads out over a big area.

Now, it's not all bad, I really quite like the main street (old Berwick), plenty of good cafes (Nomadic and Main Street), you have plenty of shops, docs etc. It has great access to the freeway, Fountain Gate shopping centre is just up the road, station and you can get out of the concrete sprawl into the hills very easily (Emerald/Dandenongs/Yarra Valley). You'll be able to get to the beach within 30/40 mins, Phillip Island within an hour and the commute time would be quite reasonable.

As stated internet can be a problem and also some of the big estates are a bit lifeless......be prepared to be living on an estate very similar to the estates in England.....not much room between houses etc.....but this is very common amongst most of the suburbs.

Good luck!!

I am kiwi though i love to live Berwick area while traveling . To be honest, it is the best area in Melbourne . May be , Berwick is almost 23.6 km². Most importantly, it's weather is excellent (17°C). My cousin loves this area for other resources : Private medical/Dental, Good locals, Education ( Monash uni has campus? .

Cheers