Jaime

Moving in Dec 16 and feeling guilty!!!

Hi,

we are moving to Mount Martha in Dec 16, I'm from England and my Husband is Australian. We have two boys aged 9 and 7. We visit sorrento every year as my in laws live there so we are familiar with the area. I also lived in Melbourne for 18 months before my first son was born.

Anyway, my issue is leaving my family!! They have always known the plan is for us to move back but now it's actually coming closer it's really causing upset and stress for everyone. People keep asking me if its what I actually want and to be honest I don't know how to respond. My feelings change all the time depending on my mood:)). I love Australia, my children love Australia there is nothing I don't like about it other than its so far away!

we have purchased a block of land and are due to start building early next year. I'm so excited about the prospect of building our dream home but I can't share my excitement with my family as no one wants to talk about it. It's so hard and sometimes I feel like I'm being so selfish expecting to much of people when they are so sad about us going.

i worry that the next 18 months are going to be such a roller coaster of emotions I could end up ruining all my time here with the family because I'm constantly thinking this is the last time for this and last time for that!!

Has as anyone else felt like this? I'm so close to my Mum and thought of leaving her is heart breaking but on the other side I'm trying to make the right choices for my family. Such an emotional time and I feel likes its only going to get tougher.

if anyone else has been through this or understands where I'm coming from it would be great to hear from you .

thanks Jaime

You are not being selfish anymore than your family is being selfish. Your family should be happy and encouraging you. I have grown children and I would encourage them in anything they decided to do. My son lives up on the Murray so I do not see a lot of him, my daughter lives in Brunswick and has a very busy life so I do not see much of her. However I am just happy that they are happy and getting on with their lives. There is life after family. I never lived near my Mum and Dad from about the age of 20 because they moved all over the place and that was their life and its fine. We have our own family units, children are only on loan, we do not own them and we just love them and aid them when they need it.

Put the guilt away in a drawer. They can visit.

My sister-in-law is from the U.S. and I think what she must have given up to come to Melbourne to marry my brother. However I think she's actually thankful to get some distance. Her mother seems to have been quite overbearing. Her parents came out here once but they're too old now, so they go back to the U.S. around every 2 years, and it's always a happy time to catch up with everyone.

Maybe you could visit your family once in a while, or call/video chat them to keep in touch. I know it's really hard to leave someone you love. But as time goes by, you will be used to it.

This post reminded me the days when I was moving my house back then in 2016 in December. Although, I had totally lost into it and couldn't figure out about any move. Glad that there are several service provider who helps in moving and connecting to new connection for electricity and gas and such resources. I still remember when I wanted a new electricity connection and I was afraid to go to each provider and ask for the quotation then comparing it with each other it was going to be a big hassle but luckily I was suggested with https://www.cheapbills.com.au/ I counted on them and hence got a successful yet easy move in through out.