mrsklm

Inner West - Yarraville/Newport/Williamstown?

mrsklm    10

We are moving to Melbourne from Hobart with our 3 young kids. Does anyone have any suggestions/feedback on the suburbs of Yarraville, Newport and Williamstown? I will probably be working in the CBD/Docklands and I don't want to live too far out. Are these family friendly areas? Any parts to avoid??

Our kids are aged 7, 5 and nearly 3 so we will need catholic or local primary schools as well as child care.

Petals    52

They are popular areas and expensive areas to buy in. There are parts to avoid due to trucks as its a very busy area and there are thousands of trucks a day in the greater area around the docks. Williamstown is very nice. Has a train line. It will depend on your budget and what type of housing you want as to suitable areas. Anywhere within a 10 km of the city centre is expensive. Have a look on realestate.com.au. A lot of Brits are moving to the western suburbs as the housing is new and its not that far from the city, Altona, Point Cook, Tarneit. Popular areas in Melbourne for the locals have always been south of the Yarra but then againe expensive and getting cheaper the further you move out. Such a huge city area of Greater London.

Likelife    10

Based on your requirements, Newport is my recommendation. Newport has the best public transport to CBD, train runs every 5 minutes during peak hours whereas Williamstown and Yarraville have much less trains stopping. Altona and Seaholme are also having much less public transport since most trains get expressed directly to Newport.

Yarraville is more for young or gay couples (don't get me wrong, I like gay people), houses are considerably smaller and condensed, so probably is not the best to raise a family. Newport and Williamstown are far more family orientated.

There are a few really good local primary schools, Catholic schools or private schools in all 3 suburbs for your children's ages. The notable ones are Westbourne Grammar (Williamstown Grammar) located in Newport, Williamstown North PS, Williamstown PS, Newport Lakes PS and West Yarraville PS. All local schools are zoned as they are in demand, so check out school boundaries. If you later on prefer to send your kids to private schools, Geelong Grammar, Wesley, St Michael's and St Catherine's all run school buses from Williamstown/Newport areas, but not so much from Yarraville.

If you buy in Newport, be aware there is a big different between the Williamstown side of Newport (south of Melbourne Road) and the north part of Newport. The south side especially closer to the Strand is far more prestigious and is better investment, but the north side is also catching up, still there is a distinct difference. Most houses (not all) on the west side of North Road are zoned in Williamstown North PS which is really one of the top public schools.

If you have a big budget, Williamstown of course is very desirable. However, Newport recent years has been enjoying better return due to better transport, and similar waterside living.

Good luck with your house search and move. You won't regret whichever of those two suburbs you buy.

Likelife    10

Sorry I forgot to mention a couple of important things. One is coming from Hobart, you may find Newport and Williamstown are more similar to Hobart (or an English seaside county) than other suburbs in the inner-ring of Melbourne. They are still village like, and secluded with no through traffic, unlike St. Kilda and Brighton.

If you decide to send kids to a public high school, you have Williamstown High in the area. When Steve Bracks was the Premier of Victoria, his children attended Williamstown High. His government used the school to promote western suburbs by investing millions and millions on building state of art facilities. Plus the school has its own large waterfront, offers the SEAL program for gifted kids, and girls only classes, it is in a similar league as other top public schools like Camberwell High and Balwyn High.

DCL    0

Helpful info thanks!  We're interested in moving to Newport but are concerned that we might not get into Williamstown High.  Do you know how likely people in Newport are to be accepted into Willy High and if there are places in Newport where you'd have a better chance pls?  Thank you!

MiniMovers    0

I do also recommend Newport, as it is a lovely secret suburb. Less expensive than Williamstown, less yuppy than Yaraville. Going to CBD is not a problem, as they have excellent train service. Community there is great also, people there are lovely. Regarding with the Willy High, I am not that sure, but from what I heard kids from other suburbs are welcome to Willy High. Will update you on this.