Egg

References for first long term rental

Hi there,

I have just moved to Melbourne from the UK along with my partner, we are currently renting in the city for the first month from our arrival date. We got here nearly a week ago and so far have sorted most things we can think of. This weekend we turned our attention to finding somewhere to live on a longer term basis. We have visited several estate agents in the areas that we have been looking at but it seems that we need references from people we know already in Australia. Something to do with the estate agents being able to contact our references to verify them. As we know no one in Australia as yet, (neither of us have jobs lined up as we are planning to have the first month or so as a kind of holiday / getting the know the city and surrounding areas) how do we go about getting a reference? I would love to hear from other people who may have experienced similar problems and how they over came them. We are having a hard enough time even reaching the required 100 point score to even be considered as although we have signed up for Medicare, we could be waiting almost a full month for our cards to arrive and even with that, our bank statements, passports, driving licences we are just under the required points total.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Some short term accommodation providers (such as ourselves) provide a reference as part of the service.

The main thing that the landlord will be interested in is - can you pay the rent, and will you look after the place? If you can prove those eg with bank statements, references from work etc you should be OK.

BB

Following for future reference! We're looking at coming over on a 457 next spring (assuming we can save up enough and my oh can get sponsorship, that is!) and I was wondering if it's worth getting a reference from our building society to confirm that we've been paying our mortgage on time? Failing that, I have a childhood friend who emigrated down under 30 years ago and I'm still in touch with her...could she provide a personal reference...?

Buzzy Bee is right. All a landlord is really interested in is "can you pay the rent" and "will you destroy the house".

When we moved over in May, we found most landlords didn't give us a second look, as we had no jobs. After a while, we just offered several months rent in advance. If you offer enough rent in advance, all other issues suddenly disappear. Can you afford the rent- of course if you can pay 4 months in advance. Are you respectable people- of course you are if you can afford 4 months rent.

Put together other things, such as bank statements, Medicare cards, etc. also write a statement saying you had good jobs in UK earning x, and will be looking for similar jobs in a few weeks etc. list prospective employers, copy job adverts etc. Get all that together and you'll be laughing.

I have seen people recommend two things - both related to money. Offer to pay a few months rent in advance - for example 3 months. And bid above the asking rent - say by 20-30 dollars. This takes you ahead in the queue from other applicants.

Hi there,

I have just moved to Melbourne from the UK along with my partner, we are currently renting in the city for the first month from our arrival date. We got here nearly a week ago and so far have sorted most things we can think of. This weekend we turned our attention to finding somewhere to live on a longer term basis. We have visited several estate agents in the areas that we have been looking at but it seems that we need references from people we know already in Australia. Something to do with the estate agents being able to contact our references to verify them. As we know no one in Australia as yet, (neither of us have jobs lined up as we are planning to have the first month or so as a kind of holiday / getting the know the city and surrounding areas) how do we go about getting a reference? I would love to hear from other people who may have experienced similar problems and how they over came them. We are having a hard enough time even reaching the required 100 point score to even be considered as although we have signed up for Medicare, we could be waiting almost a full month for our cards to arrive and even with that, our bank statements, passports, driving licences we are just under the required points total.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Hi There,

I worked as a leasing consultant for a Melbourne real-estate agent for many years and there is absolutely a few tips and tricks that international renters can use when trying to trying to secure a rental property. As others have already mentioned, what the landlord and managing agents are really looking for is - can this person pay the rent and are they going to look after the property?

To alleviate their concerns about rent being paid, it is always highly attractive to be able to offer a number of months rent in advance. This shows your commitment to the property and will automatically place your application on the top of the pile - the more months of rent that you can afford to pay in advance the better. Depending on your current living situation your references will differ. If you own your own property in the U.K, you can provide a proof of ownership document such as a council rates notice or something similar. If you have sold your home or if it is currently on the market you could provide the link to the online advertising of the property so as that the agent can see how you care for your current property. If you are leasing your property out you can give the Australian agent the contact details of your U.K agent so as that they can contact him/her for a referral of how you kept the property and what you have been like to deal with. The more information you can provide, and the more transparent you are the better.

In all the years I worked in real estate I think I only ever contacted a 'personal reference' a hand full of times - it's a waste of time really, as the person is obviously a friend or family friend who is going to refer them in the best light. It really isn't a strong reference for the landlord so I wouldn't be too stressed about that. Employment and real estate reference's from the U.K are much stronger references. Asking these people to write you a written reference is ideal, but also provide the managing agent with a phone number and email address because if they are doing their job properly they will contact them to confirm the details they have provided. Our business helps international expats secure properties in Melbourne everyday so don't hesitate to get in touch if we can help. http://www.melbournerentalsearch.com.au Good Luck! xo