Hi. I am new to this forum. We are thinking of moving to the Mornington/Mount Martha/Mount Eliza area. We are living in the Yarra Valley at the moment. We are out here just over a year. We have 3 children, aged 6,8 and 10. My eldest daughter will be starting High School in a year and a half so we want to move to a good area with good state primary and High Schools and a safe place to live with children.

Any information on what these areas are like to live in, what the schools are like, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum, there are quite a few members who live on the Peninsula and its a nice place to live. There are a lot of schools around and most of them are ok. It will really depend on your budget and the type of property you want to live in. I suggest as you are already here you come over and have a drive around and have a look. Have a look on realestate.com.au and have a look at some of the property on offer. Once you decide where you want to live people will be able to help with the schools.

Hi. Thanks for that. We are heading to Mount Martha this weekend to look at rentals and to get a feel for the place and to Mornington itself. Any info on state primary and High Schools in both these places would be great and what these 2 places are like to live in. Thanks for any help.

First up, good choice ... the area is a really nice place to live. We started out renting in Mornington for just over 18 months, then bought a house in Mt Eliza last year. I would agree with Petals - drive round to get a feel for the different areas and then, once you know where you want to live, decide on a school. There is a good choice of decent primary schools, with several in each of Mt Martha, Mornington and Mt Eliza. The harder choice is secondary schools, as there are fewer. Basically your choice for State Schools is between Mornington SC or Mt Eliza SC. Both are good enough: Mornington is probably the sportier (and bigger) whilst Mt Eliza is probably the more academic of the two (although by a whisker in the league tables). After the State schools there is Padua College (Catholic school with higher fees than State, but not as high as full private), then there are 3 private schools: Balcombe in Mt Martha (moderate fees) and Toorak (girls) and Peninsula (mixed) both in Mt Eliza.

If you are heading down for a look, make sure you go to four distinct areas: Mt Martha village (by the beach), the area around Bentons Square Shopping Centre (which is both Mornington and Mt Martha postal codes and very popular with Brits), Mornington town centre and then finally the pearl of the area, Mt Eliza village. Get a feel for each of the areas, as they vary considerably in feel and atmosphere.

To complicate your decision-making, consider also the suburb of South Frankston, which has the best State school in the area, Frankston High. You might as well have a look while you are down here.

Good luck

Thanks a mill for all the info on the schools. We will have a drive around on Saturday and try and get a feel for the place. I will let you know what I think.

How did your trip down to the Peninsula go? We've had glorious weather this weekend - you'll have seen it at its best

Hi,

We had a lovely drive around the peninsula on Saturday. We started off in Mordialloc - great playground. Then drove through Chelsea, Sommerville, Mornington, Mt Eliza and Mt Martha. I thought Mornington was lovely - love the village feel to it, had play in the great playground and then fish and chips next door to the playground. We met a lovely lovely couple in Mt ELiza, with 2 kids. They said they were paying $950 in rent, for a 4 bedroom in Mt Eliza. That is way outside our budget. We are playing $350 here in Healesville. Now I know we wont get a place for that amount near Mornington. As we only had the day, we didnt get to drive to schools or anything, we are going to have a drive down again this weekend. Someone was saying Mornington is lovely but mad busy in the summer. We are definately interested in moving to the area. Does anyone know what the commute to CBD is like in the morning from Mornington or Mordialloc? We need to take a better look at Mt Martha as well. Think we need to stop and have a coffee in a few of these places. Thanks for any help and suggestions.

The commute is a long one to the CBD. Firstly if taking public transport then there is the need to drive to the station at Frankston. Getting there early is the key to getting a car park. Express trains run in peak to the city but its still an hour on the train. So if you look at the time to get to Frankston 20 minutes, hour on the train and then to the office its a longish commute. It would be a much better commute from Mordialloc.

As for rentals the western side of the Peninsulal is cheaper to rent, although there are not so many properties available.

Mornington is mad on Wednesdays, at school times and in the summer when the hoards come down. Peninsulal Link already blocks up in peak at certain points.

I would not call Mornington a Village anymore, its a town and its very very busy, Friday is the best day to go I have found. People tend to stay away on Friday for some reason.

Shopping is ok in Mornington but need to go to Frankston for Myer etc.

Edithvale, Aspendale,Chelsea are ok areas too.

Some trains start at Mordialloc.

We never had to commute to the city so its always suited our family to live on the Peninsula.

Langwarrin is an area where you may find a cheaper rental but then you still have to drive to Frankston for the train. Although its easier to get on to the Monash freeway from Langwarrin.

Skye, Carrum Downs are also closer and cheaper.

Does anyone know what the commute to CBD is like in the morning from Mornington or Mordialloc?

From Mordialloc to the city is about 40 mins commute by car or train, plus whatever time is needed at both ends.

BB

Hi. We drove to Mornington today again and really liked it. Just wondering if you needed to be in CBD by 8am or 9am (sometimes my husband has to be in for an 8am meeting and sometimes a meeting at 9am), and had to drive what time would you have to leave Mornington at in the morning (cant take train/bus as has to have car for work). We would be looking at sending our kids to a state primary in Mornington and in a year and a half, a state High School in Mornington. And we need to rent a 3/4 bedroom house in Mornington. Just wondering what the rents are like in Mornington and if anyone has kids going to any of the schools or knows about them - and info would be great. Any help would be great.

Hour and a half to the city, the earlier you leave the shorter the travel time. I used to use Beach Road but its only 60 along there but at least there are minimal traffic lights.

Check realestate.com.au for rentals. Depends on the house and where it is on rental.

Thanks for that. Yeah think we would really need to try out the commute ourselves first, in the early morning, to see what it is really like, before moving there. Thanks for all your help.

Hi I am moving to Melbourne on the 2nd July just recently resigned from my job as of tomorrow I'm from a little mining town called mount isa and I am looking for a bigger and brighter and future for myself I am single and no kids I have been to school in Caulfield Vic and Healsville Vic, it just seems different now that I am an adult and I'm honestly scared excited all emotions put together, just wondering how life living solo and renting is it affordable? I need to get to know how does public transport work I'm nervous as there is a million questions I'd like to ask....

Hi I am moving to Melbourne on the 2nd July just recently resigned from my job as of tomorrow I'm from a little mining town called mount isa and I am looking for a bigger and brighter and future for myself I am single and no kids I have been to school in Caulfield Vic and Healsville Vic, it just seems different now that I am an adult and I'm honestly scared excited all emotions put together, just wondering how life living solo and renting is it affordable? I need to get to know how does public transport work I'm nervous as there is a million questions I'd like to ask....

Hi - well public transport you can find out about on http://www.ptv.vic.gov.au. As to renting - depends what you need and where you want to live. Do you still know people in Melbourne from your previous life there?

BB

Hi - well public transport you can find out about on www.ptv.vic.gov.au. As to renting - depends what you need and where you want to live. Do you still know people in Melbourne from your previous life there?

BB

I know a few people in Melbourne it's really hard getting in contact with them because the only contact I have with them is Facebook! but thank you for the public transport link....... I was looking at St Kilda and Richmond suburbs just wanted to know abit about those suburbs

thanks for getting back to me

Cheers!