Ciaranmacgiolla

Moving to Melbourne in 2015

Hi SAS, it just depends on your circumstances really, have u kids, where are u lookin at working etc etc, Hampton is a lovely area, expensive aswell. Mount Eliza is also beautiful but a lot further out, prob rent a much larger property I'd say

... Been looking at Hampton and now hubby likes Mount Eliza... what do you guys think?

Don't know much about Hampton, so can't offer many comments by way of comparison, but we live in Mt Eliza and it ticked all the boxes for us. It's a nice small village, with two small supermarkets, several restaurants and loads of cafés. Several schooling options (State and private). Also has two tennis clubs, two yacht clubs and some decent beaches (so various recreational options). Houses have decent sized plots on hill-side of Nepean highway, so you'll probably get more for your money than Hampton, although it is still quite expensive.

The commute to Dandenong South is approx 30-35 mins (I do the commute every day!). The city by car is approx 50-60 mins (outside of rush hour) depending on whether toll or non-toll roads. Nearest train station is Frankston.

Best to visit both if you can before deciding, because they are very different

Hi All,

I'm new to this so please forgive me if I make any mistakes!

We are making the move to Melbourne in October (myself, hubby and dog) and are swinging between excited and terrified!! We spent 5 weeks in January in oz exploring and have settled on Melbourne. We have got a case officer and just need to do medical checks and hopefully will get our PR visa soon.

I am just at the point of finding removals, dog shipping and financial advice and any help or advice anyone could give me would be brilliant!! I must admit to feeling abit overwhelmed with all the things that need to be done - how do you know whether a company is good or spinning you a line!

We are yet to decide exactly which suburb to live in but are looking for 30 mins ish into the city centre where hubby will work and good dog walks near by. We went to see alot of suburbs when we were out there - will probably rent to begin with so we can decide properly before committing to purchase a house.

I have really enjoyed looking through this site and have learnt alot so far.

Can't wait to begin our life 'down under!!'

We was like that you will love it. We have just been here over a year it's amazing and no we will not be moving back to the UK

Hi everyone, my partner and I are looking to move over to Melbourne in Nov/Dec time - loving this thread it's really helpful. Just submitted our completed 190 visa application and just have to wait and see. Have no idea how logistically hard moving is going to be but I bet it's going to be a rollercoaster ride! I've started a Wordpress blog to document our journey (search for letsmove2oz) - has any one else got one? I'd love to read them and compare experiences!

I'm in Mentone too ! Love the area great for kids

im in the middle of starting a blog of our whole experience as it was quite something lol will be great to look back on some day

Hi Kym, I work for a real estate company so let me know where and what your looking for and maybe I can help you. There are many parks in Melbourne, a pets paradise, so your dog will be happy almost anywhere you choose. Let me know if I can help further :)

hi there

Moving from Dubai in Dec 2015 with hubby and 8 & 2 yo kids..almost the final entrants into the city. Looking at McKinnon, Bentleigh and Murrumbeena based on my 8 year old's school zones. Looking for feedback on good daycares for my little one.

Hi Kym, I work for a real estate company so let me know where and what your looking for and maybe I can help you. There are many parks in Melbourne, a pets paradise, so your dog will be happy almost anywhere you choose. Let me know if I can help further :)

Hi, I have worked in real estate all my working life. I just wondered how you find it over there? Similar/ massively different?

I enjoy my job and think if like to carry on doing what I do :)

Hi guys.

I know this thread has been dormant for a few weeks now. But I was hoping those of you that have remained in Melbourne, VIC for some time could give advice on the cost of living, and what life is like now you are settled in etc?

I've searched online and seen wide variations in advice. As a child protection social worker, but also with many years experience as a child psychotherapist (dual qualified) and working in CAMHS within our NHS here in the UK. It's highly that am going to be offered a government sponsored 457 Skilled Migrant Visa, and it's likely to be in Melbourne, or possibly Bendigo up North. I have replied to them stating I would only want Melbourne, but in reality I'll be pretty flexible. Just waiting to here back from them now. I was offered a job by Dept. Human Services in Victoria State way back in 2008 but a family bereavement back them prevent me from travelling and accepting my approved visa. Things have now changed for me..... So exploring the possibility again.

What have your experiences been like moving abroad now you all appear to have been there some time?

I'm a working professional, with no children and wanting to seek new challenges in my career and life. The one sticking point is my OH doesn't want to travel/go...... We are thrashing that out. Only time will tell.

So what is life really in Melbourne? While in the UK, I've lived in Leeds, Birmingham, Belfast. But more recently now in Worcestershire. So I think big city life will be fine with me. I've travelled all over Europe, and am an outgoing friendly guy. I don't think settling in a new country will phase me to much - but I'm sure it will take some time to settle into a different life/culture. I'm increasingly nervous about any potential move though.

Any advice would be most welcome, eg. good/afforable/safe areas to look for property rental for when I first arrive, best places to shop for food/clothes, and the cost of buying/hiring a car and motoring.

Welcome to the forum Dom. If you have a read through the posts in each section here you will probably get answers to your questions. The forum can be quiet so people may not pop in to give you much information. Once they are here they tend to get on with their lives which are pretty full.

As for safe areas, Melbourne is a huge city the size of Greater London and therefore until you know exactly where you will be working hard to give any information about where to live.

Bendigo is a lovely town, a University town up in the Gold Fields.

If your oh is not keen then its possible that he/she may not want to like the place so that may be a burden on your migration.

Having no children will be helpful in costs. It will depend on what type of lifestyle you lead as to how much brass you need.

Good luck

Hi guys.

I know this thread has been dormant for a few weeks now. But I was hoping those of you that have remained in Melbourne, VIC for some time could give advice on the cost of living, and what life is like now you are settled in etc?

I've searched online and seen wide variations in advice. As a child protection social worker, but also with many years experience as a child psychotherapist (dual qualified) and working in CAMHS within our NHS here in the UK. It's highly that am going to be offered a government sponsored 457 Skilled Migrant Visa, and it's likely to be in Melbourne, or possibly Bendigo up North. I have replied to them stating I would only want Melbourne, but in reality I'll be pretty flexible. Just waiting to here back from them now. I was offered a job by Dept. Human Services in Victoria State way back in 2008 but a family bereavement back them prevent me from travelling and accepting my approved visa. Things have now changed for me..... So exploring the possibility again.

What have your experiences been like moving abroad now you all appear to have been there some time?

I'm a working professional, with no children and wanting to seek new challenges in my career and life. The one sticking point is my OH doesn't want to travel/go...... We are thrashing that out. Only time will tell.

So what is life really in Melbourne? While in the UK, I've lived in Leeds, Birmingham, Belfast. But more recently now in Worcestershire. So I think big city life will be fine with me. I've travelled all over Europe, and am an outgoing friendly guy. I don't think settling in a new country will phase me to much - but I'm sure it will take some time to settle into a different life/culture. I'm increasingly nervous about any potential move though.

Any advice would be most welcome, eg. good/afforable/safe areas to look for property rental for when I first arrive, best places to shop for food/clothes, and the cost of buying/hiring a car and motoring.

I've sent u a message Dom

Hi, I have worked in real estate all my working life. I just wondered how you find it over there? Similar/ massively different?

I enjoy my job and think if like to carry on doing what I do :)

Hi, I don't know how to compare as I've only worked in Real Estate here. The markets a bit loopy right now for both buyers and renters. I'm sure youll enjoy it here.

Hi just thought I'd start this for people who are looking at coming out to Melbourne in 2015, to introduce themselves and maybe ask a question or two about live in melbourne...

Are you still taking questions on single people moving to Melbourne..? Jay

Hi just thought I'd start this for people who are looking at coming out to Melbourne in 2015, to introduce themselves and maybe ask a question or two about live in melbourne...
<br>

<br>Are you still taking questions on single people moving to Melbourne..? Jay

<br>

<br>Are you still taking questions on single people moving to Melbourne..? Jay

Hi Jay

I have been in Melbourne since Aug last year, any questions I'm happy to try to answer. :smile:

Andrew

Mainly just want to know what I need to know :) Im thinking to move this August..

Work in the hospitality industry- do you think its fairly easy to find work..?

Any advise you can send will be great :):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hi Jay

I have been in Melbourne since Aug last year, any questions I'm happy to try to answer. :smile:

Andrew

Mainly just want to know what I need to know :) Im thinking to move this August..

Work in the hospitality industry- do you think its fairly easy to find work..?

Any advise you can send will be great :):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Where you moving from? The hospitality area in Melbourne is massive but very tough, Im not in that area and the people I know in that area say the money is not great and long hours.

Food and drink is pricey, rent isn't cheap, but Melbourne is a great place to live.

Where you moving from? The hospitality area in Melbourne is massive but very tough, Im not in that area and the people I know in that area say the money is not great and long hours.

Food and drink is pricey, rent isn't cheap, but Melbourne is a great place to live.

Hmm.. I wonder what the adverage bar tender gets lol.. Have to look that up-

I'm moving just from Brisbane.. Do you live in a share house..? I saw this one bedroom place- so so tiny- but it's CBD and $340 per week.. Is that about right..?

Hmm.. I wonder what the adverage bar tender gets lol.. Have to look that up-

I'm moving just from Brisbane.. Do you live in a share house..? I saw this one bedroom place- so so tiny- but it's CBD and $340 per week.. Is that about right..?

A one bedroom place in CBD at that price will probably be unfurnished and require a 12 month lease - is that what you are looking for?

BB