echogooh

We are moving to Melbourne with a Baby, Help!!

29 posts in this topic

[TABLE=class: tborder, width: 100%, align: center]

[TR]

[TD=class: alt1]Dear All,

I am new to the forum. My husband and I validated our permanent resident VISA last year. We chose to give birth of our first born in England and now we are planning to move early 2015. I will really appreciate if some 'veterans' could help answering these thumbsup.gif

House huh.gif

We want to keep our house in England and rent it out rather than selling it. Are there anyone in similar situation who can shed some light on the processes of this option?

Jobs huh.gif

My husband has been trying to get a job offer before going. However, most of the agencies told him before he was physically there, employers wouldn't be interested. It is quite daunting to give up the day job and go somewhere without another job offer. Do you face the same situation? Any advice on this?

Renting huh.gif

Without a job offer, is it still possible to rent in Melbourne? Any tips on the renting processes please?

Thanks a bundle in advance thumbsup.gif

Echo[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: alt2][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

We are in a similar situation. We are staying in a holiday shared house for the first month, as you say getting a job beforehand doesn't seem to be an option. We arrive in 7 weeks time! Stay in touch! We have three kids, including a 5 month old baby girl!

Most of us emigrated without a job to go to. If you get on the phone to employers and agencies rather than sending emails, you should be able to set up some interviews for when you arrive.

Yes you can rent without a job - many of us have. You just need to be able to prove you can pay the rent. Offering a few months in advance will help put your application ahead of the others.

You will need as many references as you can get. If you haven't rented for a while, you won't have a landlords reference, some short-term accommodation providers such as ourselves will provide a landlord's reference as part of our service for people booking with us.

BB

Most of us emigrated without a job to go to. If you get on the phone to employers and agencies rather than sending emails, you should be able to set up some interviews for when you arrive.

Yes you can rent without a job - many of us have. You just need to be able to prove you can pay the rent. Offering a few months in advance will help put your application ahead of the others.

You will need as many references as you can get. If you haven't rented for a while, you won't have a landlords reference, some short-term accommodation providers such as ourselves will provide a landlord's reference as part of our service for people booking with us.

BB

hi Buzzy-Bee,

thanks for for the reply. Tim is starting to think that he may not get started working until after Christmas at this rate. We will keep your info, should we still need a short term let after the first 4 weeks, and will make sure we get a landlord reference from our first accommodation.

best wishes,

Chrystal

We are in a similar situation. We are staying in a holiday shared house for the first month, as you say getting a job beforehand doesn't seem to be an option. We arrive in 7 weeks time! Stay in touch! We have three kids, including a 5 month old baby girl!

Yes, definitely keep in touch. Where about in Melbourne are you now? Send me a private message if you like. We are going in January or February.

Yes, definitely keep in touch. Where about in Melbourne are you now? Send me a private message if you like. We are going in January or February.

We are still in Northern Ireland for 48 more days! We will be staying in Box Hill North for the first month. It's hard to choose an area from the outside. Will be in touch once we find our feet, Down Under.

Best Wishes for your move.

chrystal

We are still in Northern Ireland for 48 more days! We will be staying in Box Hill North for the first month. It's hard to choose an area from the outside. Will be in touch once we find our feet, Down Under.

Best Wishes for your move.

chrystal

Many thanks. Good luck with your move too! See you there:wink:

I am reading this thread with interest because I am coming to Melbourne in January too. Different circumstances because my OH has a temp job for a year but we still have to rent on arrival and are wondering whether to buy a car or not. Also, we are older than most, I think, because we are (just) in our fifties.

Anyway, in the meantime I'm using as much advise from this website as I can in the hopes that we have a fab year :smile:. Can't wait!!

I am reading this thread with interest because I am coming to Melbourne in January too. Different circumstances because my OH has a temp job for a year but we still have to rent on arrival and are wondering whether to buy a car or not. Also, we are older than most, I think, because we are (just) in our fifties.

Anyway, in the meantime I'm using as much advise from this website as I can in the hopes that we have a fab year :smile:. Can't wait!!

Melbourne is suitable for all age groups! Hope to see you there! :smile:

Thanks Echogooh. Look forward to meeting lots of new people in Melbourne :biggrin:

I am reading this thread with interest because I am coming to Melbourne in January too.

If you are looking for accommodation in January I suggest you book now as this is the busiest month. Melbourne is largely on holiday until Australia day so a lot of businesses will be closed or running on skeleton staff.

Cheers

BB

Thanks for that Buzzy--Bee, we have our first weeks accommodation sorted but are now making sure its ok for longer so we can get to know where we want to live.

OH will be working in Campbellfield but we're not sure where to search for units to rent so we'll wait until we are there so we can see the lay of the land.

we have our first weeks accommodation sorted but are now making sure its ok for longer

Good idea. Most people who stay with us take around 4 weeks to get a rental sorted.

BB

Thanks again BB and I hope I'll meet some of you in the New Year :jiggy:

Thanks LerauntAlbert, we are just waiting to hear about whether we are successful with the visa.

It's killing me and the only thing I can do now is look at apartments longingly and research cars - whether to long term lease or buy for the year (we're going to lose money anyway)!!

[TABLE=class: tborder, width: 100%, align: center]

[TR]

[TD=class: alt1]Dear All,

I am new to the forum. My husband and I validated our permanent resident VISA last year. We chose to give birth of our first born in England and now we are planning to move early 2015. I will really appreciate if some 'veterans' could help answering these thumbsup.gif

House huh.gif

We want to keep our house in England and rent it out rather than selling it. Are there anyone in similar situation who can shed some light on the processes of this option?

Jobs huh.gif

My husband has been trying to get a job offer before going. However, most of the agencies told him before he was physically there, employers wouldn't be interested. It is quite daunting to give up the day job and go somewhere without another job offer. Do you face the same situation? Any advice on this?

Renting huh.gif

Without a job offer, is it still possible to rent in Melbourne? Any tips on the renting processes please?

Thanks a bundle in advance thumbsup.gif

Echo[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: alt2][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Hi we're heading out at the end of Dec. Once our visas were granted in July we had to think of a date a few months in advance and just book it which we did in September, it helped give us a target to work towards. We've had these few months to get our house in order and market for renting out, it was advertised at the beginning of October and we now have tenants who move in next month. We were then able to sort my partner's job, it helps to be able to say exactly when you're arriving to potential employers. Once we had that job sorted we could look at places to live that were not to far from the job in the areas we thought we'd like (still a massive area!).

About 3 weeks ago we shipped a large movecube of our stuff over to hopefully coincide with moving into our rental. The rest of our furniture is being sold now. Now it's just research for primary schools, areas, commutes and so on. I'm also compiling a rental folder with all the info they will need with any applications which will include mortgage statements to show payment history, letting agent reference, character references etc.

Exciting but daunting isn't it :biggrin: good luck!!

Hi Folks,

32 days until we begin our journey to Melbourne. I am grabbing a second while the little one is sleeping and the other two are at school. It is pouring with rain and freezing cold outside, the usual for Northern Ireland. The heating is on boost and all the lights are on because it is so dark and dismal. Preparations for the move are continuing. I built my last box this morning, we are sending 10, 30 kilo boxes, 5 suitcases and five items of hand luggage, and that's it. The house is looking a little emptier, but there is still quite a lot to go. We have been making about £500 a week on Gumtree and Facebook, selling bits and pieces, the hardest is knowing what you can live without, for example, the TV has been listed a few times but the kids keep protesting, so it has now been moved to the last sale of November. The car is up for sale now, too!

Now I am typing with one hand as I literally only got a few second peace from the baby! I just wanted to ask those of you who have made the move about the things you brought with you? What did you bring that you didn't need, and what did you leave behind that you really wished you'd packed? The last few weeks are dragging in for me, and I feel like I am missing out on all the nice weather and fun things to do over in Australia. My husband too, says he is losing focus at work, pesky three months notice period! With the baby, I am stressing a bit about the formula etc, as even changing versions within the same brand seems to make her sick. Whats the Aussie equivalent to SMA for Hungrier Babies? Which nappies etc?

We know one or two people in Melbourne, but we are going to be on our own and starting from scratch with everything. It seems an insurmountable task, is it really so tough, or does the welcoming community spirit of Australia make adjustment easier for the whole family? As for the kids schools, they all look nice, how did you decide between them all? How much money did you bring, and what is the hardest thing to adjust to Down Under? And what makes the whole move worth while?

Best Wishes,

Chrystal

is it really so tough, or does the welcoming community spirit of Australia make adjustment easier for the whole family?

Chrystal

Hi Chrystal, this is all quite literally up to you. You really have to get out there, and make an effort, invite everyone you meet to your house for coffee/bbqs etc, in the sure knowledge that you might not enjoy the company of most of them and a lot of them will never return the invite. But only by doing that can you weed out and meet the people who will become great friends over a long period of time.

We have more friends here of all nationalities than we ever had in the UK.

BB

Hi Chrystal, this is all quite literally up to you. You really have to get out there, and make an effort, invite everyone you meet to your house for coffee/bbqs etc, in the sure knowledge that you might not enjoy the company of most of them and a lot of them will never return the invite. But only by doing that can you weed out and meet the people who will become great friends over a long period of time.

We have more friends here of all nationalities than we ever had in the UK.

BB

That sounds really good. It sounds the same as when I lived in Asia, except for the language barrier, I had to cross. You just have to be friendly and make an effort! I teach English as a second language, as I love the opportunities it gives me to meet people from all over. Right through school and college, and into adulthood I have had friends from different countries, but I having been living in a tiny corner of Northern Ireland for the last 8 1/2 years, with very few forward thinkers in this insular culture, most migrants here are skeptical, even fearful of the locals, usually with good reason! Such a shame, this country has so much to learn from the outside world, NI has become more compartmentalised than ever! We are seriously looking forward to the move, even more now, and I know my kids are going to love it too.

chrystal

PS. When we get our long term rental, everyone on here is invited to a bbq, and the men folk can give my husband a lesson in the Art of the Aussie BBQ! Time to get up and feed the baby now. Have a good evening! ;-)

PS. When we get our long term rental, everyone on here is invited to a bbq, and the men folk can give my husband a lesson in the Art of the Aussie BBQ! Time to get up and feed the baby now. Have a good evening! ;-)

Excellent thank you! Some important points for your husband to note - any 4 burner BBQ will do, doesn't have to be expensive, you never touch another man's BBQ unless you are invited, and the way to time turning your meat is after six sips of beer.

BB

Hello all. Good luck for those waiting to fly out. Just thought I would jot a few notes down here with regard to our experience. We have been here 10 weeks now, time flies! Came on a 457 visa with husbands job (inter company transfer). We brought over virtually everything (including. Fridge/freezer, washer, dryer) and am glad we did, even buying little things like coat hangers, kettle, toaster all adds up. Wish I'd brought all my plastic / Tupperware type containers for pasta, packed lunches etc. have had to buy lots and not that cheap. School uniform and school fees (non private) are expensive compared to the UK. We have 2 kids (9&7) and they are settling in well. Son (9) didn't want to come and already wants to stay forever. Daughter has had slightly bumpier ride but has in her mind she is returning to UK in 2 yrs (minimum here for job)!

With regard to meeting people and making friends I have been lucky. Already have a few contacts in my phone book I wouldn't hesitate to call on if I had any problems. Went to a grade 1 mums night out one night then a grade 3 mums coffee morning the next morning. The same day I then did a canteen lunch shift at school so by the Friday night I was all 'meeted out'!! The other mums have been really great though and inviting me for coffee, shopping etc. I have also been out with a walking group and now have a regular coffee morning with other 'Poms' via an internet group.

For transport I have bought a little runaround that I found at a great garage after a week trawling the internet and forecourts. One guy there was fab and totally un pushy. Made us all great coffee and hot choc before we had even said we wanted to test drive a car. Not sure if allowed to name places on here ?! PM me if you want the name of it.

An unrelated tip but if you end up renting along the coast (Bayside/Kingston) you get 2 passes for the beach car parks. Just take ID and rental evidence to the local council. Saves a fortune :)

Enjoy !

Thanks for that Honey11.

Am very excited, got our 457 (well, the OHs really) after two weeks, am now waiting to hear when in January he needs to start. Finish work here on 19th December, Christmas with the family and then we'll start packing (not a permanent move for us so only two suitcases each to pack!) :wink:

We now have the go ahead to book our flight in January. Can't wait so was thinking of Monday 5th, however, wondered if anyone could let us know if there is any reason this wouldn't work (holidays, festivals etc in Melbourne). Thanks x