Ace3

Cars

One of the many decisions when buying a car here is the majority are automatics, we bought an automatic for me and a manual for hubby. I love having an automatic, I couldn't drive anything else round the city and it's my first automatic.

i was wondering did you go auto or stick with manual?

Oooh, good timing on your post Ace3. I've noticed a lot are automatic and have never driven one before. Hubby said that would be good. Have looked up hook turns too. Sounds fun.........

Is it better to get a car that says RAVC warranty ?!

Auto is easy to drive, but for anyone learning, if you pass your test in an auto, you cannot drive a manual for the first 3 years.......I think. Please correct me if wrong.

Honey, I think that you mean RACV test on the vehicle, not warranty on it. Yes, if it has been tested by them, you should be shown the report. Do not rely on just being told that it has been tested. It will list any faults they find, and it is a comprehensive check. A buyer had one carried out on a car that I was selling, and I watched him going over the car.

Do not worry too much about hook turns, as they are around the city centre, and not in any of the outer suburbs, or even the inner suburbs.

Honey, I was thinking of you newbies!!! Did my first hook turn this year, only in the middle of the city.

cars have to have a road worthy certificate when sold. This is like an MOT but you don't know who did it, so a RACV check is a good idea.

I have just bought a car today! A little Holden Barina Spark, I have gone for manual as it was in stock at a very good offer price and I have always driven manual so it doesn't bother me to carry on that way. My dh is getting a bigger company car and he is having an automatic.

Another question I have about cars, tinted windows. An "after sales" lady tried to sell me a package of a super duper waxing finish that guarantees my car will always look in show room condition alongside tinted windows, the whole package was about $1,200 or about $5 or $600 for the windows alone.

Are tinted windows essential and if you have ever paid for them how much would it normally cost?

I have just bought a car today! A little Holden Barina Spark, I have gone for manual as it was in stock at a very good offer price and I have always driven manual so it doesn't bother me to carry on that way. My dh is getting a bigger company car and he is having an automatic.

Another question I have about cars, tinted windows. An "after sales" lady tried to sell me a package of a super duper waxing finish that guarantees my car will always look in show room condition alongside tinted windows, the whole package was about $1,200 or about $5 or $600 for the windows alone.

Are tinted windows essential and if you have ever paid for them how much would it normally cost?

Tinted windows not essential at all. Personal choice. They always pass you on to someone who tries to "upsell" you products. If you do want to take the extras, do not settle on the silly prices they are charging. Argue them down a heap, or walk away. If you were thinking of getting those sort of options, you could have tried to work them in as a freebies as part of the sale. Not sure on the cost of tinting, but it is easy enough to phone around to a couple of places that do window tinting and see what they charge for your model.

Barina is a good little runaround. We had one a few years ago, and drove it to Queensland and back with our 2 girls in it, as well as luggage.

Yeah, we bought a new van a few years ago. We had negotiated a good price by phoning round everyone. The salesman then took us along to the saleswoman that tries to sell you tinted windows, special coatings for carpets (in a van with everything made of vinyl!). We weren't expecting the hard sell, didn't really know what was going on to be honest - it was a bit like how i imagine timeshare salesmen to be. It took about 20 minutes of consistently saying no and me getting more and more p'd off and eventually telling her where to put her offers. Considering we just bought a new van from a dealer, I didn't appreciate the entrapment. When we came out, the salesman apologised and said he has to do that with everyone.

That's just how I felt! She was really patronising too, kept talking to my husband even though it was me buying the car! She basically told me I was risking my children's health and putting them at risk of cancer without the coating (hmm they would have sun cream on) then so much as said they would trash my car with muck and dirt (which they probably will to be honest but she doesn't know that :tongue:)

Edited by Ruth1972

Have not had a manual for thirty plus years and my oh had one for a while but he soon got converted when he used my car. Melbourne and its traffic lights auto is the way to go.

Also we have found automatics are really reliable and no clutches need replacing and they go and go and go. Need to get them checked though if you are buying second hand as some people thrash anything.

Have not had a manual for thirty plus years and my oh had one for a while but he soon got converted when he used my car. Melbourne and its traffic lights auto is the way to go.

Also we have found automatics are really reliable and no clutches need replacing and they go and go and go. Need to get them checked though if you are buying second hand as some people thrash anything.

You've just got to put your left foot in your right pocket, or you get a real fright when you put your foot on the clutch when coming to a stop!

I have a controversial viewpoint that automatic cars should be banned, especially for anyone over 70. If you can't work a manual car, you're just going to stall it. But how many times do we see another OAP crashing into a shop or swimming pool because they mistook the throttle for the brake in an automatic? (I'm going to run away now I've lit the fuse:biggrin:)

You've just got to put your left foot in your right pocket, or you get a real fright when you put your foot on the clutch when coming to a stop!

I have a controversial viewpoint that automatic cars should be banned, especially for anyone over 70. If you can't work a manual car, you're just going to stall it. But how many times do we see another OAP crashing into a shop or swimming pool because they mistook the throttle for the brake in an automatic? (I'm going to run away now I've lit the fuse:biggrin:)[/quote

LOL. Still got 6 years to go before the big 70. Problem I find, is that I drive a Falcon auto, and Val has a Mazda manual. Mine is used mostly, and when I do drive hers, I often forget to use the clutch, and come to shuddering halt when slowing down. I feel such a novice when that that happens. :err:

That's just how I felt! She was really patronising too, kept talking to my husband even though it was me buying the car! She basically told me I was risking my children's health and putting them at risk of cancer without the coating (hmm they would have sun cream on) then so much as said they would trash my car with muck and dirt (which they probably will to be honest but she doesn't know that :tongue:)

You should have asked her for some statistics to prove her point on the lack of window tint being the cause of cancer. Also, you should have made it plain to her that she should be addressing you, not your Hubs. When you feel that you are being talked down to, it is time to speak up. All kids do the trash cars bit. Nothing abnormal about that. :wink:

I had the opposite problem and always forgot it was an automatic. I used to drive a lot for work and one time was carrying three passengers up the A9 to inverness, including the big cheese. It was about 2 or three hours from glasgow and didn't have to stop on the way. They gave me a hire car which was a big fancy one because of the big cheese, and it was automatic. Usually just got a cheap manual rental. I got all the way up the A9, no problems, cruise control, the lot, very smooth driving, no speeding cos of the boss etc. Slowed to a halt when we reached the destination, but at the point you normally put in the clutch cos you are going too slow, I put my left foot right onto the brake hard. Put everyone through the windscreen, even though we were going slow! i didn't mean it, but no-one else thought it was funny, that was sure.

[quote

LOL. Still got 6 years to go before the big 70. Problem I find, is that I drive a Falcon auto, and Val has a Mazda manual. Mine is used mostly, and when I do drive hers, I often forget to use the clutch, and come to shuddering halt when slowing down. I feel such a novice when that that happens. :err:

That sounds like the same woman we got! We got the same deal, it was my wife who was buying the van but she only spoke to me! It was high pressure sales and I just wasnt expecting it. If we hadn't worked so hard for the discount we already got, I might have been taken in and gone for the tinted windows (keeps it so much cooler, you will regret it, blah blah). I've never regretted getting non tinted at all. And it was rediculous that she kept trying to sell the spraying of carpets with that coating stuff, when its just vinyl flooring.

It's harder to say no than you might expect, especially if you are not expecting the onslaught. I think they suss you are an immigrant and try to scare you with things an inmmigrant wouldn't be so sure of like the sun thing. Even the cancer council says it doesn't make that much difference unless you are in your car all day

http://www.cancer.org.au/news/blog/prevention/window-tinting-and-sun-protection-does-darkening-your-windows-make-you-safe-from-uv-rays.html

I'm surprised they don't sell ultrasonic insect repelents to keep away the huntsman spiders, you know what new immigrants are like. I can imagine them sitting with a big one in a jar, telling you that they'll get you if you don't buy this.

Hi Ruth that sounds very expensive! Hubby got his windows tinted for $200. If you use FB get on some local trade business pages you can practically find any trade or service for fantastic prices and help contribute to local businesses. My best answer for the pushy sales people is 'I can't afford it' seems to stop them in their tracks. It must be horrible to have to do a job where you're under pressure to sell expensive ad ons!!

I learned how to drive using an automatic. I don't know how to drive manual until now. But I guess, car buyers nowadays would pick auto than manual, correct me if I'm wrong.