movingtomelbs

TV/Internet - iinet or Foxtel

Hi all!

I should be moving into my new rental apartment in Port Melbourne this weekend, very excited. :biggrin:

I'm going to need wifi and would like some halfway decent TV to watch so I've been looking at tv/broadband packages but I could do with some advice. I know Foxtel hold something of a monopoly over here but the Telstra/Foxtel packages seem pretty expensive compared to what I used to pay for a Sky package back home.

I've been looking at iinet as an alternative, their broadband, phone and tv package comes in under $100 which seems like a pretty good deal - does anyone use them and are they any good?

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Do not know anything about iinet, my brother uses another provider however he does not get the same programmes as Foxtel. A lot of people just watch tele on the computer. I have a Telstra package and would not change to another provider as I have ADSL and wireless broadband, Foxtel and get 10% off for having everything with them. Also when there is a problem I have never had to wait more than a day for them to fix it, in fact last time they sent me a satellite phone to use and the technician came out the next day and arrived before the phone, so no need for it.

Hi Petals,

Thanks for the response. Knowing me I'll eventually just go for the easy, albeit expensive, option and go with a Telstra/Foxtel package - but thought it was worth seeing what else was out there :-) Certainly sounds like there are some up sides to going with Foxtel so that's good to hear.

The issue I have with watching tv on the computer is that it seems the majority of the ways of doing that over here appear to be not entirely legal (although I'm sure some of them must be!) A lot of my friends used NetFlix in the UK and I've heard great things, so hopefully something like that will be winging its way over here soon. :-)

I have a friend who uses iinet and they seem to be happy with their service. I recently signed up with TPG and I can't fault their service! They kept me up to date with the installation process and the internet was connected when they said they would. And they have a follow up service too which is great. We have the unlimited ADSL2+ phone package and it cost us 59 dollars a month. We did think about doing the Telstra/Foxtel but we couldn't justify the cost.

Hello!

Yes we signed up with iinet as Foxtel do not provide the warehouse we live in and so far so good, we got a bolt on and this has enabled us to choose an appropriate package and the TV is ok.

Hope that helps

Jess

Meant to say that you can also get a box from Telstra itself but have not really looked into it as I don't need one. I have two points for Foxtel in the house.

Hello!

Yes we signed up with iinet as Foxtel do not provide the warehouse we live in and so far so good, we got a bolt on and this has enabled us to choose an appropriate package and the TV is ok.

Hope that helps

Jess

Thanks Jess - glad to hear it's ok. I'm still debating as I know Foxtel has a lot more channels, but I didn't move here to spend my life watching tv!

Quick update - decided to go with Telstra/Foxtel package on the basis that the internet is meant to be much faster than the other providers and also because there are a few TV channels I would watch a decent amount of on Foxtel that aren't available on Fetch TV (through iinet and Optus). However, having tried to buy the package online today (because they waive the $59 connection fee if you sign up online) I have hit a brick wall in that they ask you to provide an Australian passport or drivers license number and it's a dropdown list with no other options - so as a Brit on a 457 visa (i.e. not one that requires me to get an Aussie drivers license) I'm pretty stuck! The online chat advice guy said the only option was to go into a store and see if they would still offer the free connection. Will let you know when I manage to get into a store to find out!

I would advise getting the license anyway, it is a major source of ID here, we got one while being on a 457 and it gets asked for a lot.

Thanks for the tip. :-) I'll probably get round to it eventually, but with everything else I need to sort out (and only a limited amount of times I can just disappear from the office to do stuff before they get upset!) it wasn't high on the priority list, especially as I don't intend to get a car anytime soon. But yes, it seems it will be worthwhile getting it sorted if it's going to start causing issues. Getting the internet sorted in my new place is a pretty high priority as I'll need to work from home to be there for when furniture etc. gets delivered, so I'll be going to the Telstra store on my lunch break tomorrow, hopefully they can sort it with my UK passport and drivers license.