Alison

Opening an Australian bank account

Hi there

My husband and I need to open a bank account. I have read on the forum that this can be done whilst we are still in the UK and collect our cards from a branch in Melbourne but not all banks allow this. Can anyone advise us on what is the best thing to do? We would like bank accounts set up ready so we can transfer some funds for when we arrive.

many thanks

Alison. x

we opened an account at the Westpac branch in London, my OH did all the research online and we had basic bank cards when we got here (sent to OH office) and money already in the bank. Then went into Collins Street here and picked up Visa debit cards. They were very helpful.

Ditto westpac, online banking is very good, don't go into the branch very often, but when I do it's great.

Ditto again with commonwealth bank, set the account up with the London Branch then had an appointment here when we arrived to activate the cards we picked up from the nearest branch. also they have good apps for the iPhone and iPad.

nicola.

My husband and I both opened Westpac accounts via London , whilst on holiday November 2013 we validated our cards. My husband has since transferred cash to pay for student fees, from UK account to Westpac vis Hi FX.Wwe have also both transferred cash via our westpac account to our daughter.

The process works very well. I locked my online banking facility...no problem I phone Australia my home branck and within minutes I was up and running again. Very efficient bank very friendly people, especially inMentone branch:)

Hi, my partner and I are moving to Melbourme on Sunday 19 Jan.

We opened our bank account from here in the US, with ANZ Bank.

We did it all online. It was very easy, and they were very helpful. After setting it up they called me here (from the London headquarters) to verify everything and to set up our cards and have them ready when we arrive.

We have already transferred some of our funds into the account.

Hope this helps!!!

I've just opened AnZ account on line it was super easy. Someone from London office then called me to verify. It's now up and running I just need to pick up cards and show ID when I arrive. They also sent me an Aussie sim card with ten bucks loaded on it! They also offer a service free of charge to transfer your money over. Happy so far.

Hi Kezzles, can I just ask if you got bank cards as soon as you went into ANZ ? We were looking to open an account with this bank before moving over but just read on their website they only order you a visa debit card once you have completed an identification process in branch ? Have I misunderstood ?

Hi Bike42

Not sure if its the same with ANZ but I opened an account with NAB in the UK before moving over. When I arrived and provided our passports as ID, we were given EFTPOS cards only which can only be used to purchase goods over the counter - you can't use them online and or some specific stores. Our Visa Debit Cards were ordered then and we received them a week later. No hassle but you might want to keep a UK card active for a couple of weeks upon arriving in case you need to make any online purchases whilst waiting for the VISA card.

Andre

Can anyone recommend a bank that doesn't charge a monthly fee? Seems that most do, or have a fee free 3-6 months but then a monthly fee thereafter. Thanks.