Ruth1972

Berwick Vs Mornington

I am trying to narrow A large group of residential areas to just a handful prior to our planned move to Melbourne in Summer 2014 (uk summer).

top of my list is Berwick, without visiting it seems ideal but I would like to some have back ups just in case.

How does Mornington compare with the area of Berwick? Thanks in advance

I would take Mornington every time. I live about a 10 to 15 minute drive from there. If you like living close to the beaches, it has to be Mornington. Frankston has a great range of shops and is about a 15 minute drive away. The beautiful Mornington Peninsula is on your doorstep. Westernport Bay is about a 15 to 20 minute drive away. Mornington has a decent range of shops now, and is a very popular place for day trippers.

Negatives are that there is no train service to the city from there, with the nearest being from Frankston. The place can be very busy during the Summer months with all the visitors. House prices are probably more expensive there then Berwick.

No doubt some from Berwick will be along soon to give you their thoughts on that area.

All the best with your decision, and all the best on your plans for the future.

I forgot to add we have 2 kids aged 8 and 10 who are sports mad, I assume there are still the same opportunities for them in Mornington as far as sports clubs etc go. I am hoping that will be a good of them (and us) making friends.

Which other areas would you suggest we consider?

As a guide our lifestyle now:

My husband travels about an hour to the office (in the traffic) but often is driving to other areas of the country.

i work as a special educational needs teaching assistant in an Infant School, I hope to not work for a few months in order to help the kids settle but eventually hope to volunteer and gain employment in a similar role.

My daughter (10 and a tomboy) and my son (8) love and try most sports, esp. swimming, soccer, rugby, basketball.

We live in a semi rural village near Huddersfield so about an hour to Manchester or an hour the other way to Leeds, it is quite countryside-y with lovely hills to walk in and good community with lots of 'local' things going on.

The price of houses rules out us living nearer the city, plus we have never really wanted to live in the city but enjoy going maybe for a day trip or a night out.

If you made it to the end of my essay thank you and well done! Thanks in advance for ideas :-)

Where will you need to get to for work? Eastern suburbs have everything, then it's an easy hop to beach, city, countryside and we have the gorgeous mountains as a backdrop to everyday life.

the sporting facilities up here are truly excellent and my kids do loads, everything is available including the best run soccer club and the most amazing swim school - my kids have improved amazingly.

prices are affordable dependant on budget of course and we have all the shops you could ever need...

We lived rural in the uk, so found the east leafy and green rather than crammed in and full of estates...

I think my dh's office is near Bayswater but they may be moving, not sure where to though

You need to do a For And Against list for each place.

If your Hubs is going to be Bayswater area based, and an hours or perhaps more during busy times driving does not bother him, Mornington. If it does, go as per Ace suggests.

You can get sporting activities in all areas, so that should not be a problem.

If you would be heading to the beaches every day after school and in the holidays, Mornington. If only for a day on weekends, Berwick.

If house prices are not an issue, Mornington. If it is, go Berwick.

Mornington, roughly an hour and 15 to Melbourne driving. Same on the train. 15 minutes drive to Frankston, and about an hour on the train from there. Not sure about times from Berwick area.

Not sure about work for you in either area. Hopefully someone will be along and can advise you on it, or check out seek.com.au

Berwick expanding rapidly with new estates. Mornington less so, but still new builds going on.

Driving to the Dandenong Ranges takes best part of an hour from Mornington. Much less from Berwick.

Again, good luck, and keep the questions coming.

Berwick is way to over developed for me. Acres and acres of housing, Mornington too has acres of housing but nowhere near as many as Berwick. That is why I live 10 mins from Mornington on the Westernport side of the Peninsula.

Sport, what sport, there are so many different sporting clubs. My son played and still does cricket, tennis, baseball, golf. My daughter played tennis and learned piano and violin and was in the Peninsula Youth Orchestra.

I love the fact that I have green fields around us and we are still near enough to bigger places ten minutes away.

Old Berwick Township is lovely but they have really spoilt Berwick with over building the area. Pity they did not do what they did with the Westernport Area of the Peninsula and restrict the dwellilngs so that green fields were maintained around the centres.

We did think of living in Naree North and the big block we looked at way back then are still there but you know what they are surrounded by houses on small blocks now so glad we chose the Peninsula.

I don't know Mornington but live in Berrwick. I like that it's a reasonable (30 min) drive to work, and I find it's a nice suburb with everything I need fairly close by. I do wish my neighbour's houses weren't quite so close though.

We lived rural in the uk, so found the east leafy and green rather than crammed in and full of estates...

Which Eastern suburbs do you mean?

To get a house of similar size to ours now (4 bedrooms or 3 + study) for around the price we are hoping to sell ours for we are finding we need to get out as far as Berwick, we looked at Glen Waverley but it seemed a lot more expensive.

Do not know what your budget is but to get a house in good condition with four bedrooms etc in an area 10 - 15 km from the city is costly. Glen Waverley is a hot spot for Chinese purchasers going after the places at the local high school and saw one auction where they went to 1.25 million. Anywhere there is a good school just like the UK and is a public school there is pressure on house prices to be in the zone.

Also the closer you go in the older the houses are. However I do not think that is a put off as with older areas comes infrastructure and ease of getting around.

The new estates often have internet service problems, lack public transport and two cars are a necessity.

Good article in the paper today showing which are going to be the next reasonably priced at present suburbs to increase. Frankston is one of them. South Frankston is ok and very nice areas in it but again the houses are older.

Anywhere up the coast Mordialloc, Aspendale, Edithvale Chelsea are older houses but near the beach and popular with renovators. Big blocks of land etc.

Anywhere along the Eastlink Freeway would be ok too for your oh getting to work.

Good article in the paper today showing which are going to be the next reasonably priced at present suburbs to increase. Frankston is one of them. South Frankston is ok and very nice areas in it but again the .

Do you have a link to this please.

I have been a bit put off Frankston by reputation, 2 friends in Melbourne and 1 in Sydney have all said to avoid it, so having not been there myself I am imagining the worst!

By eastern suburbs, I am talking about Mitcham, Ringwood North, Ringwood East (not Ringwood itself) Croydon North, Warranwood, Croydon Hills. There are many others that are lovely but I personally don't know them to live in. I am happy to answer any questions you have about these areas.

The Mornington/Mt Martha/Mt Eliza area are very popular with poms and actually have the largest population of brits in Melbourne. Definitely an ideal choice! The beaches are beautiful too. 

m7.png

m1.png

28.png