Darthcolo

Home made pies?

Hello all!

I was thinking in a way to survive (and make the savings last) when I go to Oz (untill I can find a job), and I was thinking on selling home made pies, door to door, or in the parks/beaches.

Can someone tell me if this is legal? I think that I should get a permit, or something…

You would have to speak to the local municipality and jump through hoops these days. Lots of red tape.

I'm sorry petals, what do you mean with that expression?

It means that you have to go to a lot of trouble to get a licence. Just from memory, the food preparation area has to be inspected and a licence granted to be able to use those

premises to prepare the food. You may have to take a course in safe food handling. The vehicle you use to sell the food from will have to meet regulations. You would need an Australian Business Number (ABN) for tax purposes. I am sure that there are a few more things that would need to be done as well, but those would be just an idea of what you would have to do before you start door knocking. Also, you would need some sort of insurance, because imagine what would happen if someone became very ill, or died after eating food you had prepared.