Hoo2Victoria

Cost of Living - Our Observations since moving to Melbourne

Any chance M&S, a food hall...?

I order from Marks & Spencers (actually I'm waiting for an order this week), but it would be lovely to have a food hall, even if it was in the City of Melbourne :wink:

I've been reading this post with interest and 6 months in, I'm definitely going to place an order with M&S for underwear and maybe some

clothes too. I did find some great jeans at Jeanswest but they had an offer on at the time. I'm VVVVVV excited to hear the news about Amazon though, I bought loads of things from there in the UK. Really dislike shopping at the best of times but especially shopping centres which seem to be the only option here. Agree that M&S food hall here would be Amazing :smile:

What do you mean about childcare? Is it more expensive? I'm coming over with my 5 year old and he will be placed into a primary school but I think I'm going to need afterschool and before school care. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance, I know this thread was started last year!

I think some things are less and some are more - it all works out I think. What we have always tried to do is work as a percentage of income as opposed to conversion of currency.

Our rental is more than it was in UK. Comparable distance from CBD etc but then its a much nicer house and area than we came from.

Food - I probably spend a little bit more than I was in the UK but I could save money if I really had to.

Childcare - Not even an option over here whereas in the UK we had the monster in private nursery for 2 days a week even on 1 wage.

Gas/Electric - still not been here long enough to properly compare but again I know I could save money on it if I had to but if Im cold the heating goes on and if Im hot the air con goes on (my excuse is I dont smoke or drink so let me have my treats lol)

Shopping - yes I do miss my haunts as such but Im gradually finding places to get better deals. I do think clothes are much more expensive and not necessarily getting better quality for it. Having 2 teenage girls I probably notice this quite a lot as all I seem to do is shop!

Activities/Days Out - we have found this is where we are really saving money as a family. There are still things we look at and think its just too pricey but I dont think its as much. We get out and do so much more here but again that could be an unconscious reaction to the whole ideology of coming here to better things for us as a family.

Dining/Restaurants - this we are finding a lot more costly and again not as much variety. I think we may find this changes as we get to know the place better and find more little gems etc. Currently I think all 5 of us would give our left leg for a Harvester.

We are probably very different from most families who have come over in that we actually arent better off wage wise - for us the move was fuelled by personal reasons around the family etc. I had expected to find it a struggle and I do know I'm more penny conscious than I was in the UK and I know that I can make a lot more tightening in the old strings if I need to as well before we would have to say it wasnt working for us here.

Hi guys.

I know this thread has been dormant for some time now. But I was hoping those of you that have remained in Melbourne, VIC for some time could update the cost of living, and what life is like now you are gruel settled in?

I've searched online and seen wide variations in advice. As a child protection social worker, but also with many years experience as a child psychotherapist (dual qualified) and working in CAMHS within our NHS her in the UK. It's highly that am going to be offered a government sponsored 457 Skilled Migrant Visa, and it's likely to be in Melbourne, or possibly Bendigo up North. I have replied to them stating I would only want Melbourne, but in reality I'll be pretty flexible. Just waiting to here back from them now. I was offered a job by Dept. Human Services in Victoria State way back in 2008 but a family bereavement back them prevent me from travelling and accepting my approved visa. Things have now changed for me..... So exploring the possibility again.

What have your experiences been like moving abroad now you all appear to have been there some time?

I'm a working professional, with no children and wanting to seek new challenges in my career and life. The one sticking point, is my OH doesn't want to travel/go...... We are thrashing that out. Only time will tell.

So what is life really in Melbourne? While in the UK, I've lived in Leeds, Birmingham, Belfast. But more recently now in Worcestershire. So I think big city life will be fine with me. I've travelled all over Europe, and am an outgoing friendly guy. I don't think settling in a new country will phase me to much - but I'm sure it will take some time to settle into a different life/culture. I'm increasingly nervous about any potential move though.

Any advice would be most welcome, eg. good/afforable/safe areas to look for property rental for when I first arrive, best places to shop for food/clothes, and the cost of buying/hiring a car and motoring.

You would be best to have a look for a room in a shared house if money is your main criteria. Search online, Google, Gumtree etc.

HI Suzukiscottie, I wish to live with my family comprising 3 members including me. Money is the secondary thing, but i just want to check what would be the minimum rent so that i can plan accordingly

CR

Hi,

In Which part of melbourne can i get a 1 bedroom house for cheap rent? what might be the rent? how far this place is from Central Business District?

Chaitanya

If you want to get close to the CBD I would go for a recently constructed 1 bedroom apartment. If you can't afford that then consider something further out. What I mean is there is a lot of accommodation on offer in the suburbs close by the CBD but much of it is old and crappy. Personally I would always move further out from the CBD to get a nice place. If it's close to a train station or bus route into the city then the extra distance won't matter.

Cheapest rents are in share houses but you have to be really careful who you share with. Anywhere near the unis is expensive because of all the students competing for 1 bedroom places. The City is expensive, too. Look for 30mins-1 hour out of the CBD on a train line.