Hoo2Victoria

Cost of Living - Our Observations since moving to Melbourne

Is the Costco the same as the one back in the UK. I thought you had to own your own business or be a representative of a business or PTA to be able to sign up. I had to go with my Brother and he had to pay for all my stuff and I had to give him the money.

I haven't been to Costco so don't really understand it. Are things at least $60 cheaper on a one year shop....?

I haven't been to Costco so don't really understand it. Are things at least $60 cheaper on a one year shop....?

I know for us its a huge yes - you are primarily buying in bulk. In the UK I struggled as I didnt have much space to put anything ...... the houses here were built to accommodate for Costco shopping trips ;-p

I dont get much at the moment but i still save a lot. There is only 2 of us and a 3 year old so I dont really buy much food in bulk just now. Buy kitchen rolls, toilet rolls, some toiletries, cleaning stuff, and when my daughter was small got nappies and stuff.

I checked their website earlier, $60 gold membership, 2 cards per household. Am hoping to save on cupboard and cleaning items...

Lets try again! Stupid phone!!!

Ace3, you have now been tasked to hang around the construction site and inform us all when Costco is open for business ;)

Right, just driven past, on 2 different roads.

Its a long way to go yet, probably a June/July opening...

I have read many posts about the cost of living in Australia and also used to watch Wanted Down Under that always pitched that the costs of living in Australia are high.

We've moved from South East England (not far from London) to Melbourne.

So far these are my own experiences of cost of living.

1. Food - very much on par with what I used to spend back in the UK. Back in the UK I used to shop in Aldi (they're everywhere over here) and also Asda which is like our Coles over here (just missing the George range) :)

The only differences I would say between UK and Aussie supermarkets is the variety. There seems to be less variety within the shops over here than the UK. However, we have a lot of separate shops, i.e. Butchers, Seafood Stalls, Fruit/Veg Stalls etc. Unlike the UK where the Supermarkets have taken control and monopolised these areas.

2. Fuel - well let's just say it's far cheaper over here to fill the tank than it is in the UK. Here it costs me just over $60 to fill my 1.8 Holden Astra Diesel Car. Back in the UK it was costing me £60 to fill the tank on my Citreon Picasso.

3. Gas/Electricity - to tell you the truth I have not been here long enough to compare - however so far the predictions of my last bill is that we are using $1.93 a day in Electric and $1.40 in Gas.

4. Water Bills - I have yet to receive a bill - but will update once I know what this was (I used to work in this Industry - so this will be interesting).

5. Goods - when we first arrived we had to purchase a double mattress a single mattress and a new double bed with mattress. It cost the same as it would have done if we had bought these in the UK. We have bought bedroom furniture in Ikea in Richmond Australia and this has worked out slightly more and slightly less than what we would have paid for the same furniture in Lakeside, Essex.

6. Clothes - Exactly the same as the UK. The best shops we have bought clothes are from Best & Less, Kmart, Big W and Factorie. I must admit however, I have ordered Bra's from Marks & Spencer! My excuse is that I have big boobs and I like Marks & Spencer Bras!!

7. Cars! - My OH works in the Car Industry and we still can't get over the cost of cars over here! What we would consider worth only a couple hundred of quid is actually valued over $1,000!! The other thing to remember when you move to Melbourne is the Rego. However, this is your car tax and your Third Party Insurance rolled into one. We have noticed however, that the roads are so much better than the UK and this is because of the Rego.

If I think of anything else to add or if anyone else wants to add anything, then please feel free.

I still buy my bras from m & s even after 6 yrs here! Berlie bras are a really good range, though the prices are shocking, like most of the underwear here.

get my hair cut for $20 at the local shopping centre ( southlands) it's quick no frills and one of the best cuts I've hover had.

dentist is unbelievably expensive. Used to have health cover but no more, cost me $4000 to have root canal on my tooth last yr!

Ok so water bill is in and its $98 for 3 months.

Thats for a family of 5 in a house with 3 bathrooms.

Hubby thinks it may be a little on the high side so need to check as Mr P seems to think there may be something wrong with the air cooling system.

I think its probably fine considering the washing machine is on 2-3 times most days, 2 teenagers having 30 minute showers, and endless amounts of dishes needing washing.

Edited by loogieboogie10

Ok so water bill is in and its $98 for 3 months.

Thats for a family of 5 in a house with 3 bathrooms.

Hubby thinks it may be a little on the high side so need to check as Mr P seems to think there may be something wrong with the air cooling system.

I think its probably fine considering the washing machine is on 2-3 times most days, 2 teenagers having 30 minute showers, and endless amounts of dishes needing washing.

I would say that is quite reasonable. I would be happy with a bill of $98 for 3 months :) I was paying over £40 per month back in the UK x

I used to have a DD set up for water for $40 per month so I think your bill is fine :)

I think everything here is more expensive. Food is crazy! I can go for a few bits and it'll be $70. Clothing here is hideous and poor quality too so I order online back home. In a fairly good shop here a pretty average jumper can be $80-100, it's just crazy! Our weekly rent is on par with our mortgage back home for the month!!!! Dentistry....cost me 2K when we first arrived to have a crown...I cried.

Petrol is the only thing that's cheaper...but the price of cars kind of takes the shine off that lol.

You wouldn't think I love it here would you lol xx

I used to have a DD set up for water for $40 per month so I think your bill is fine :)

I think everything here is more expensive. Food is crazy! I can go for a few bits and it'll be $70. Clothing here is hideous and poor quality too so I order online back home. In a fairly good shop here a pretty average jumper can be $80-100, it's just crazy! Our weekly rent is on par with our mortgage back home for the month!!!! Dentistry....cost me 2K when we first arrived to have a crown...I cried.

Petrol is the only thing that's cheaper...but the price of cars kind of takes the shine off that lol.

You wouldn't think I love it here would you lol xx

I wouldn't say everything is more expensive here. I spend on average $250 per week on groceries which is £165 per week. This is about £20-£30 more than what I would spend back in the UK. Although back in the UK there was more choice and offers etc.

Clothing is not bad, I have bought a few nice bits and spent on $25 for a cardigan and $18 for a hooded zipped fleece jacket. I admit that yes I do purchase items from the UK, only because I know what suits me and know the sizes that fit me.

Our weekly rent is the same as our Mortgage back in the UK so I haven't noticed a difference there, although we will probably pay more in a Mortgage when we do eventually buy. However, we do live in the Western Suburbs which I do know is a lot cheaper than living over in the east.

I agree with you on Dentists are very expensive and we have yet to visit one :)

And again, I agree with you with regards to the cost of motor cars. Hubby is a Vehicle Assessor and values cars day in day out and he had to show his work colleagues the cost of vehicles back in the UK just to show them how expensive they are over here. :)

Also, the Rego and Car Insurance is rather steep!!

At least the Petrol and Diesel are cheaper than back in the UK.

Just wanted to update on Gas/Electric bills over the past 6 months. Total spend on Electricity from November - May = $581.76 and Total spend on Gas from November - May = $210.91.

Not sure how this represents with others or other suppliers. We are currently with Australian Power & Gas.

Hope this helps for anyone wanting to budget. Please take it as a guideline only as this is our own personal usage and yours maybe less or more.

Regards

Claire

Oh, and I miss amazon and book people a lot! :(

Hi Alice

I will let you in on a little secret, I know someone whom is rather high up in Amazon and they're planning on opening up an office in Sydney in the New Year. So fingers crossed, Amazon will be here soon :smile:

Hi Alice

I will let you in on a little secret, I know someone whom is rather high up in Amazon and they're planning on opening up an office in Sydney in the New Year. So fingers crossed, Amazon will be here soon :smile:

Oh, Hoo. That would be fabulous!! Come on amazon, think you can sneak in before Christmas? Wink wink ;)