Hoo2Victoria

Cost of Living - Our Observations since moving to Melbourne

I would say however that the only thing I have found more expensive over here than the UK which has shocked me is Bedding! Why, I have no idea??

Your looking in the wrong place, yes it is expensive in bedding shops and Myers etc but there are plenty places you can get good quality and reasonable.

Kmart and Target often have sales with 40% off. There is a shop called Manchester and More in the Plaza where I have bought two Kingsize Duvet sets for $49 each.(Remember the Kingsize here is massive!) They are really good quality much better than the stuff I brought from Asda the last time I went home. The last time I bought Duvet sets from Next for a Queensize they cost 70gbp so no a lot of difference in it. Also the other week I got a set of single sheets and pillow case to use in the hot weather instead of a duvet on my daughters bed $25, again really good. Aldi had good quality sheets the other week as well, got them for $45 for Kingsize. Spotlight are expensive for good ones and their cheaper range are really crap, you can see right through so I wouldnt bother with there unless they have a sale on.

Edited by aj.

I haven't been in that Manchester & More, bought two fitted sheets in Best & Less (Single) for $10. Must say thought the quality is much better than the Asda ones I bought for my youngest Daughter.

Your looking in the wrong place, yes it is expensive in bedding shops and Myers etc but there are plenty places you can get good quality and reasonable.

Kmart and Target often have sales with 40% off. There is a shop called Manchester and More in the Plaza where I have bought two Kingsize Duvet sets for $49 each.(Remember the Kingsize here is massive!) They are really good quality much better than the stuff I brought from Asda the last time I went home. The last time I bought Duvet sets from Next for a Queensize they cost 70gbp so no a lot of difference in it. Also the other week I got a set of single sheets and pillow case to use in the hot weather instead of a duvet on my daughters bed $25, again really good. Aldi had good quality sheets the other week as well, got them for $45 for Kingsize. Spotlight are expensive for good ones and their cheaper range are really crap, you can see right through so I wouldnt bother with there unless they have a sale on.

Today I paid $15 for a filling at the dentist. It was a very nice surprise that the private insurance covered the bulk of the cost. It was an interesting experience tho'. I turned up; passed the insurance card to the receptionist as requested; she couldn't tell me what was covered or not; I saw the dentist; went back to the receptionist; she told me how much it was; swiped my insurance card (while i stood there with my fingers crossed!) and told me how much was left to pay. She couldn't tell me what the $15 that wasn't covered was. Is that the same process for everyone else?

Hi there... I'm new to this!! Me, hubby and my two little boys are presently working with our agent to obtaining our independent visa. We are about to express our interest to Victoria state for sponsorship- this is where we would like to reside. We have friends in Seaford. We have lots of questions and finding this forum is fantastic!! We wondered how you go about gaining credit in Oz? Also. Where are the best areas to reside with a 3 year old and an 18 month old- we both drive, but we would like to be close to amenities, a beach. Any help and advice would be much appreciated.. Thanks!

Today I paid $15 for a filling at the dentist. It was a very nice surprise that the private insurance covered the bulk of the cost. It was an interesting experience tho'. I turned up; passed the insurance card to the receptionist as requested; she couldn't tell me what was covered or not; I saw the dentist; went back to the receptionist; she told me how much it was; swiped my insurance card (while i stood there with my fingers crossed!) and told me how much was left to pay. She couldn't tell me what the $15 that wasn't covered was. Is that the same process for everyone else?

The $15 was what is called The Gap. (Nothing to do with gaps in teeth.LOL). Each dentist is a private practice, and can charge what they want to just like any other privately run business. The medical insurance company puts a cap on what they will pay out for each service. (Each thing you are treated on has a number). So, the dentist is charging $15 over the insurance cap, which he is entitled to do. If it was only $15, you got off lightly.

Thanks for the explanation @celt down under. Phew on the 'getting off lightly' :)

A colleague of mine said she never pays anything for her dentist. Anyone in Mount Martha...?

Thanks for the explanation @celt down under. Phew on the 'getting off lightly' :)

A colleague of mine said she never pays anything for her dentist. Anyone in Mount Martha...?

You can look around for a Bulk Bill dentist. They only charge what the cap is, but it may be difficult getting in to see one. On bulk billing, it is the same with Doctors. You can find them around and about, so if you are willing to wait in line, you will eventually get to see one and will not have to pay any out of pocket expenses apart from medication. Mount Martha is an expensive area, so not sure if you would find any bulk billers there. Try Mornington or Frankston.

Hi Celt. Sorry to have confused: my friend who lives in mount Martha is the one that does not pay anything for her dentist. Guess she's lucky :)

I am in the knox area. Hoping not to have to visit the dentist often. Have found a bulk bill doctor in knox city. Luckily(!) as the rest of the family have been there an average of 3 times each in the last 2 months already!!!

No more confused that I am normally am Alice, so no need for the apology. Would not mind finding out who your friend uses, so.............please feel free to ask on my behalf. Maybe she has a healthcare card or similar.

We were in the Knox area yesterday. Went to Knox City Mall for a change, rather than Soutland or Fountaingate. LOL.

Hope your enjoying life Down Under.

Hi there... I'm new to this!! Me, hubby and my two little boys are presently working with our agent to obtaining our independent visa. We are about to express our interest to Victoria state for sponsorship- this is where we would like to reside. We have friends in Seaford. We have lots of questions and finding this forum is fantastic!! We wondered how you go about gaining credit in Oz? Also. Where are the best areas to reside with a 3 year old and an 18 month old- we both drive, but we would like to be close to amenities, a beach. Any help and advice would be much appreciated.. Thanks!

Hi Galaxy121

Welcome to the Forum.

Start a new thread under Suburbs with regards to Seaford, there are loads of Poms over that way that will be able to help you (I live on the West).

With regards to gaining credit, I'm not too sure, we bought our car outright and we are currently renting our place so haven't needed credit at the moment.

Keep asking no matter how silly you think it is, there is always someone on here who will be able to help you.

Regards,

Claire

We are Costco lovers from the UK. And have kept on going since we arrived. The churro s when they are hot are really yummy.

No more confused that I am normally am Alice, so no need for the apology. Would not mind finding out who your friend uses, so.............please feel free to ask on my behalf. Maybe she has a healthcare card or similar.

We were in the Knox area yesterday. Went to Knox City Mall for a change, rather than Soutland or Fountaingate. LOL.

Hope your enjoying life Down Under.

Hi Celt down under, have just PM-ed you the details of my friend's dentist. He's actually in springvale not in mount Martha where she lives. It's not bulk bill but private insurance covers it all. :)

Hi Celt down under, have just PM-ed you the details of my friend's dentist. He's actually in springvale not in mount Martha where she lives. It's not bulk bill but private insurance covers it all. :)

Hi Alice. Thanks for that. Same thing regarding bulk billing. That is what it is. You present your medical insurance card, and they accept what the insurance company pays. No out of pocket expenses.

Hi All

Can I just thank you all for such an informative thread......... Me (su 49) Hubby (Ian 45) 14 yr old and 18yr old sons and 20 year old daughter will be joining you all in Victoria in August............ We came out in August 2012 to validate our visa, we went bowling on a Sunday evening and found it cheaper than bowling in Kent, Uk. We did think the bread was a lot more expensive than the uk, but my mum, who lives in Brighton,Victoria swears by Aldi so we gave their bread a shot, it was very reasonable and tasted great, was a bit surprised at the price of beer and wine ( we like a drink!!!!) Lettuce seemed expensive, but like the previous post we looked at Target for bedding, as we had been told it is dear, they seemed to be on a par with the uk. If you could think of anything we should bring with us please let us know.....We would be very grateful.

Su x

Hi All

Can I just thank you all for such an informative thread......... Me (su 49) Hubby (Ian 45) 14 yr old and 18yr old sons and 20 year old daughter will be joining you all in Victoria in August............ We came out in August 2012 to validate our visa, we went bowling on a Sunday evening and found it cheaper than bowling in Kent, Uk. We did think the bread was a lot more expensive than the uk, but my mum, who lives in Brighton,Victoria swears by Aldi so we gave their bread a shot, it was very reasonable and tasted great, was a bit surprised at the price of beer and wine ( we like a drink!!!!) Lettuce seemed expensive, but like the previous post we looked at Target for bedding, as we had been told it is dear, they seemed to be on a par with the uk. If you could think of anything we should bring with us please let us know.....We would be very grateful.

Su x

Hi Sue

Where in Kent are you? We're originally from a Village called Hoo near Rochester in Kent. We moved out here permanently in October 2012.

I think everyone would agree with me when I say, bring absolutely everything you can fit in that 20ft container. Obviously you can't bring everything because of customs etc. although I somehow forgot some tealights that were in the camping boxes and they made their way over and my wicker bag (oops)!

I bought a couple of fitted sheets for my Daughter (for some reason they have managed to disappear in transit)! I bought these from Best & Less for $10 each (£6.50) so on par with Asda but they are of better quality.

Shops like Big W & K Mart are like a mix of the old fashion Woolworths, Matalan, The Range all rolled into one. They are huge stores which sell everything from make-up, toiletries, to clothes, bedding, kitchen ware, toys, camping, fishing, lighting etc. etc. etc. It's like a on stop shop - brilliant and you can't fault K-Mart prices too. I bought some pads and pencils for the Secret Santa gifts for $5.

We only use bread for toast, so I just buy the $1 loaf from Coles. However, I have noticed that we tend to eat more fresh food here than we did back in the UK so our food shop maybe slightly higher than back in the UK.

They do have some great Fruit & Veg shops around and they tend to be slightly cheaper than the Supermarkets.

Woolworths I thought was more expensive than Coles and Coles seem to have a better range and more own named goods. Although I have heard that there is a UK guy now at the top.

Unfortunately there isn't a Primark but again K-Mart and Best & Less are as close as it gets.

We also have the Reject Shop and Sams Warehouse which is a place to look for cheapies.

We've just bought a lovely Hardwood Table & 7 Chairs from BBQ Galore with the Cushions for $499 (£325) which I didn't think was too bad.

Basically it all depends on much or little you want to spend as there is something out here for your budget. I must say thought, don't ever look at a car and compare costs to the UK. My Hubby still believes some cars are a write off and they turn out to be repairable :biggrin:

Good Luck with the move x

Really, Costco is coming to ring wood??

Oh yes, go up right hand side of Eastlands, turn right at lights and you can see the very large building site!!

I must be acclimatising as I don't really think in pounds anymore, agree with all the above re shops, love BigW and KMart, especially Kmart clothes for the kids, very George at Asda. Reject shop is also a family favourite.

kids schools shoes were on a par with the UK, got them at Mathers.

Food shop, I cook a lot more, and do miss the Asda Curry/Chinese and M&S food halls... For that easy Friday night meal for 2...

One shop I don't get is Target, it's expensive and apart from the homeward, not that nice... I only get school uniform there.

Oh yes, go up right hand side of Eastlands, turn right at lights and you can see the very large building site!!

ha ha I can just see a little brigade of us all at the front of the queue when it opens!