• Letton Percival provide shipping insurance for your international move
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 29
    Like Tree8Likes

    Thread: We are moving to Melbourne with a Baby, Help!!


    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2014
      Posts
      4
      Liked
      0 times

      Red face We are moving to Melbourne with a Baby, Help!!

      Dear All,

      I am new to the forum. My husband and I validated our permanent resident VISA last year. We chose to give birth of our first born in England and now we are planning to move early 2015. I will really appreciate if some 'veterans' could help answering these

      House
      We want to keep our house in England and rent it out rather than selling it. Are there anyone in similar situation who can shed some light on the processes of this option?

      Jobs
      My husband has been trying to get a job offer before going. However, most of the agencies told him before he was physically there, employers wouldn't be interested. It is quite daunting to give up the day job and go somewhere without another job offer. Do you face the same situation? Any advice on this?

      Renting

      Without a job offer, is it still possible to rent in Melbourne? Any tips on the renting processes please?
      Thanks a bundle in advance

      Echo

    2. #2
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2014
      Location
      Lisburn, United Kingdom
      Posts
      8
      Liked
      0 times
      We are in a similar situation. We are staying in a holiday shared house for the first month, as you say getting a job beforehand doesn't seem to be an option. We arrive in 7 weeks time! Stay in touch! We have three kids, including a 5 month old baby girl!

    3. #3
      Senior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      Location
      Bayside Melbourne
      Posts
      486
      Liked
      209 times
      Most of us emigrated without a job to go to. If you get on the phone to employers and agencies rather than sending emails, you should be able to set up some interviews for when you arrive.


      Yes you can rent without a job - many of us have. You just need to be able to prove you can pay the rent. Offering a few months in advance will help put your application ahead of the others.

      You will need as many references as you can get. If you haven't rented for a while, you won't have a landlords reference, some short-term accommodation providers such as ourselves will provide a landlord's reference as part of our service for people booking with us.

      BB
      MELBOURNE SHORT TERM ACCOMMODATION - FURNISHED SELF-CONTAINED STUDIO APARTMENT AVAILABLE -
      walk to shops, beach and station. Ideal for new immigrants before you find a long-term rental. PM me for further details.

    4. #4
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2014
      Location
      Lisburn, United Kingdom
      Posts
      8
      Liked
      0 times
      Quote Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee View Post
      Most of us emigrated without a job to go to. If you get on the phone to employers and agencies rather than sending emails, you should be able to set up some interviews for when you arrive.


      Yes you can rent without a job - many of us have. You just need to be able to prove you can pay the rent. Offering a few months in advance will help put your application ahead of the others.

      You will need as many references as you can get. If you haven't rented for a while, you won't have a landlords reference, some short-term accommodation providers such as ourselves will provide a landlord's reference as part of our service for people booking with us.

      BB
      hi Buzzy-Bee,

      thanks for for the reply. Tim is starting to think that he may not get started working until after Christmas at this rate. We will keep your info, should we still need a short term let after the first 4 weeks, and will make sure we get a landlord reference from our first accommodation.

      best wishes,

      Chrystal

    5. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2014
      Posts
      4
      Liked
      0 times
      Quote Originally Posted by Suisho25 View Post
      We are in a similar situation. We are staying in a holiday shared house for the first month, as you say getting a job beforehand doesn't seem to be an option. We arrive in 7 weeks time! Stay in touch! We have three kids, including a 5 month old baby girl!
      Yes, definitely keep in touch. Where about in Melbourne are you now? Send me a private message if you like. We are going in January or February.

    6. #6
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2014
      Location
      Lisburn, United Kingdom
      Posts
      8
      Liked
      0 times
      Quote Originally Posted by echogooh View Post
      Yes, definitely keep in touch. Where about in Melbourne are you now? Send me a private message if you like. We are going in January or February.
      We are still in Northern Ireland for 48 more days! We will be staying in Box Hill North for the first month. It's hard to choose an area from the outside. Will be in touch once we find our feet, Down Under.

      Best Wishes for your move.


      chrystal

    7. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2014
      Posts
      4
      Liked
      0 times
      Quote Originally Posted by Suisho25 View Post
      We are still in Northern Ireland for 48 more days! We will be staying in Box Hill North for the first month. It's hard to choose an area from the outside. Will be in touch once we find our feet, Down Under.

      Best Wishes for your move.


      chrystal
      Many thanks. Good luck with your move too! See you there

    8. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Posts
      21
      Liked
      6 times
      I am reading this thread with interest because I am coming to Melbourne in January too. Different circumstances because my OH has a temp job for a year but we still have to rent on arrival and are wondering whether to buy a car or not. Also, we are older than most, I think, because we are (just) in our fifties.
      Anyway, in the meantime I'm using as much advise from this website as I can in the hopes that we have a fab year . Can't wait!!

    9. #9
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2014
      Posts
      4
      Liked
      0 times
      Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
      I am reading this thread with interest because I am coming to Melbourne in January too. Different circumstances because my OH has a temp job for a year but we still have to rent on arrival and are wondering whether to buy a car or not. Also, we are older than most, I think, because we are (just) in our fifties.
      Anyway, in the meantime I'm using as much advise from this website as I can in the hopes that we have a fab year . Can't wait!!
      Melbourne is suitable for all age groups! Hope to see you there!

    10. #10
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Posts
      21
      Liked
      6 times
      Thanks Echogooh. Look forward to meeting lots of new people in Melbourne

  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast