• Letton Percival provide shipping insurance for your international move
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Like Tree8Likes

Thread: We are moving to Melbourne with a Baby, Help!!

Liked
      0 times
      PS. When we get our long term rental, everyone on here is invited to a bbq, and the men folk can give my husband a lesson in the Art of the Aussie BBQ! Time to get up and feed the baby now. Have a good evening! ;-)

Liked
      210 times
      Quote Originally Posted by Suisho25 View Post
      PS. When we get our long term rental, everyone on here is invited to a bbq, and the men folk can give my husband a lesson in the Art of the Aussie BBQ! Time to get up and feed the baby now. Have a good evening! ;-)
      Excellent thank you! Some important points for your husband to note - any 4 burner BBQ will do, doesn't have to be expensive, you never touch another man's BBQ unless you are invited, and the way to time turning your meat is after six sips of beer.

BB
      Celt Down Under and Suisho25 like this.
      MELBOURNE SHORT TERM ACCOMMODATION - FURNISHED SELF-CONTAINED STUDIO APARTMENT AVAILABLE -
      walk to shops, beach and station. Ideal for new immigrants before you find a long-term rental. PM me for further details.

Liked
      44 times
      Hello all. Good luck for those waiting to fly out. Just thought I would jot a few notes down here with regard to our experience. We have been here 10 weeks now, time flies! Came on a 457 visa with husbands job (inter company transfer). We brought over virtually everything (including. Fridge/freezer, washer, dryer) and am glad we did, even buying little things like coat hangers, kettle, toaster all adds up. Wish I'd brought all my plastic / Tupperware type containers for pasta, packed lunches etc. have had to buy lots and not that cheap. School uniform and school fees (non private) are expensive compared to the UK. We have 2 kids (9&7) and they are settling in well. Son (9) didn't want to come and already wants to stay forever. Daughter has had slightly bumpier ride but has in her mind she is returning to UK in 2 yrs (minimum here for job)!

With regard to meeting people and making friends I have been lucky. Already have a few contacts in my phone book I wouldn't hesitate to call on if I had any problems. Went to a grade 1 mums night out one night then a grade 3 mums coffee morning the next morning. The same day I then did a canteen lunch shift at school so by the Friday night I was all 'meeted out'!! The other mums have been really great though and inviting me for coffee, shopping etc. I have also been out with a walking group and now have a regular coffee morning with other 'Poms' via an internet group.

For transport I have bought a little runaround that I found at a great garage after a week trawling the internet and forecourts. One guy there was fab and totally un pushy. Made us all great coffee and hot choc before we had even said we wanted to test drive a car. Not sure if allowed to name places on here ?! PM me if you want the name of it.

An unrelated tip but if you end up renting along the coast (Bayside/Kingston) you get 2 passes for the beach car parks. Just take ID and rental evidence to the local council. Saves a fortune :)

Enjoy !
      Ace3, Celt Down Under and Natasha like this.

Liked
      6 times
      Thanks for that Honey11.

Am very excited, got our 457 (well, the OHs really) after two weeks, am now waiting to hear when in January he needs to start. Finish work here on 19th December, Christmas with the family and then we'll start packing (not a permanent move for us so only two suitcases each to pack!)
      Celt Down Under likes this.

Liked
      6 times
      We now have the go ahead to book our flight in January. Can't wait so was thinking of Monday 5th, however, wondered if anyone could let us know if there is any reason this wouldn't work (holidays, festivals etc in Melbourne). Thanks x

Liked
      6 times
      Hi,
      Well, we got here and we're in Brunswick for the present, looking for a long term rent. How did everyone else get on?

Liked
      721 times
      Welcome to Melbourne at least the weather is cool which is preferable to hot when coming from the cold. Good luck, have a rest and take your time and all will fall into place.

Liked
      6 times
      Thanks Petals.

I have to admit the weather has caught me out - you read about four seasons in a day but wearing a jumper one day and getting burnt the next has been a real experience. Have already met a lovely lady from this forum for a cuppa so if anyone out there would like to meet up and share their experience, I'd be up for it.
      Petals and Celt Down Under like this.

Liked
      1 times
      great information for anyone who is moving, very helpful indeed...keep it up

• Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123