• Letton Percival provide shipping insurance for your international move
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like Tree8Likes

Thread: We are moving to Melbourne with a Baby, Help!!

Liked
      210 times
      Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
      I am reading this thread with interest because I am coming to Melbourne in January too.
      If you are looking for accommodation in January I suggest you book now as this is the busiest month. Melbourne is largely on holiday until Australia day so a lot of businesses will be closed or running on skeleton staff.

Cheers

BB
      MELBOURNE SHORT TERM ACCOMMODATION - FURNISHED SELF-CONTAINED STUDIO APARTMENT AVAILABLE -
      walk to shops, beach and station. Ideal for new immigrants before you find a long-term rental. PM me for further details.

Liked
      6 times
      Thanks for that Buzzy--Bee, we have our first weeks accommodation sorted but are now making sure its ok for longer so we can get to know where we want to live.

OH will be working in Campbellfield but we're not sure where to search for units to rent so we'll wait until we are there so we can see the lay of the land.

Liked
      210 times
      Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
      we have our first weeks accommodation sorted but are now making sure its ok for longer
      Good idea. Most people who stay with us take around 4 weeks to get a rental sorted.

BB
      MELBOURNE SHORT TERM ACCOMMODATION - FURNISHED SELF-CONTAINED STUDIO APARTMENT AVAILABLE -
      walk to shops, beach and station. Ideal for new immigrants before you find a long-term rental. PM me for further details.

Liked
      6 times
      Thanks again BB and I hope I'll meet some of you in the New Year

Liked
      1 times
      You will surely meet great people in Melbourne.

Liked
      6 times
      Thanks LerauntAlbert, we are just waiting to hear about whether we are successful with the visa.

It's killing me and the only thing I can do now is look at apartments longingly and research cars - whether to long term lease or buy for the year (we're going to lose money anyway)!!

Liked
      0 times
      Quote Originally Posted by echogooh View Post
      Dear All,

I am new to the forum. My husband and I validated our permanent resident VISA last year. We chose to give birth of our first born in England and now we are planning to move early 2015. I will really appreciate if some 'veterans' could help answering these

House
      We want to keep our house in England and rent it out rather than selling it. Are there anyone in similar situation who can shed some light on the processes of this option?

Jobs
      My husband has been trying to get a job offer before going. However, most of the agencies told him before he was physically there, employers wouldn't be interested. It is quite daunting to give up the day job and go somewhere without another job offer. Do you face the same situation? Any advice on this?

Renting

Without a job offer, is it still possible to rent in Melbourne? Any tips on the renting processes please?
      Thanks a bundle in advance

Echo

Hi we're heading out at the end of Dec. Once our visas were granted in July we had to think of a date a few months in advance and just book it which we did in September, it helped give us a target to work towards. We've had these few months to get our house in order and market for renting out, it was advertised at the beginning of October and we now have tenants who move in next month. We were then able to sort my partner's job, it helps to be able to say exactly when you're arriving to potential employers. Once we had that job sorted we could look at places to live that were not to far from the job in the areas we thought we'd like (still a massive area!).

About 3 weeks ago we shipped a large movecube of our stuff over to hopefully coincide with moving into our rental. The rest of our furniture is being sold now. Now it's just research for primary schools, areas, commutes and so on. I'm also compiling a rental folder with all the info they will need with any applications which will include mortgage statements to show payment history, letting agent reference, character references etc.

Exciting but daunting isn't it good luck!!

Liked
      0 times

Wink 32 days and counting...

Hi Folks,

32 days until we begin our journey to Melbourne. I am grabbing a second while the little one is sleeping and the other two are at school. It is pouring with rain and freezing cold outside, the usual for Northern Ireland. The heating is on boost and all the lights are on because it is so dark and dismal. Preparations for the move are continuing. I built my last box this morning, we are sending 10, 30 kilo boxes, 5 suitcases and five items of hand luggage, and that's it. The house is looking a little emptier, but there is still quite a lot to go. We have been making about 500 a week on Gumtree and Facebook, selling bits and pieces, the hardest is knowing what you can live without, for example, the TV has been listed a few times but the kids keep protesting, so it has now been moved to the last sale of November. The car is up for sale now, too!

Now I am typing with one hand as I literally only got a few second peace from the baby! I just wanted to ask those of you who have made the move about the things you brought with you? What did you bring that you didn't need, and what did you leave behind that you really wished you'd packed? The last few weeks are dragging in for me, and I feel like I am missing out on all the nice weather and fun things to do over in Australia. My husband too, says he is losing focus at work, pesky three months notice period! With the baby, I am stressing a bit about the formula etc, as even changing versions within the same brand seems to make her sick. Whats the Aussie equivalent to SMA for Hungrier Babies? Which nappies etc?

We know one or two people in Melbourne, but we are going to be on our own and starting from scratch with everything. It seems an insurmountable task, is it really so tough, or does the welcoming community spirit of Australia make adjustment easier for the whole family? As for the kids schools, they all look nice, how did you decide between them all? How much money did you bring, and what is the hardest thing to adjust to Down Under? And what makes the whole move worth while?

Best Wishes,

Chrystal

Liked
      210 times
      Quote Originally Posted by Suisho25 View Post
      is it really so tough, or does the welcoming community spirit of Australia make adjustment easier for the whole family?

Chrystal
      Hi Chrystal, this is all quite literally up to you. You really have to get out there, and make an effort, invite everyone you meet to your house for coffee/bbqs etc, in the sure knowledge that you might not enjoy the company of most of them and a lot of them will never return the invite. But only by doing that can you weed out and meet the people who will become great friends over a long period of time.

We have more friends here of all nationalities than we ever had in the UK.

BB

Liked
      0 times
      Quote Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee View Post
      Hi Chrystal, this is all quite literally up to you. You really have to get out there, and make an effort, invite everyone you meet to your house for coffee/bbqs etc, in the sure knowledge that you might not enjoy the company of most of them and a lot of them will never return the invite. But only by doing that can you weed out and meet the people who will become great friends over a long period of time.

We have more friends here of all nationalities than we ever had in the UK.

BB
      That sounds really good. It sounds the same as when I lived in Asia, except for the language barrier, I had to cross. You just have to be friendly and make an effort! I teach English as a second language, as I love the opportunities it gives me to meet people from all over. Right through school and college, and into adulthood I have had friends from different countries, but I having been living in a tiny corner of Northern Ireland for the last 8 1/2 years, with very few forward thinkers in this insular culture, most migrants here are skeptical, even fearful of the locals, usually with good reason! Such a shame, this country has so much to learn from the outside world, NI has become more compartmentalised than ever! We are seriously looking forward to the move, even more now, and I know my kids are going to love it too.

chrystal

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast